From: Alan Beagley <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2Wireless] Linksys Wireless Router Configuration
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 21:58:48 -0500
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

I have the same router with my cable Internet connection, but I have it configured as DHCP server in conjunction with fixed IP addresses on each machine -- 192.168.1.1xx. This works fine for me, and I don't see why the same wouldn't work with a DSL modem. But I have no VoIP "in circuit" to confuse matters.

I've never used the CD that came with the router. I've done all the configuration -- and even firmware updates -- using Mozilla to access the router at 192.168.1.1.

Don't know whether this helps.

-=-
Alan

On 03/31/05 09:35 pm Hakan tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I have a small SOHO network with a Verizon Westell 2200 DSL modem
currenctly functioning as the router and as a DHCP server.  The
computers, and the print server, all have static IP addresses on my
network and the Westell modem is configured as 192.168.1.1.  In
addition I have a Lingo VoIP adapter which uses DHCP to get a local IP
address.  At the moment /all/ devices are connected to an old 10-Mbps
hub.  (For those interested, Lingo can be reached at www.lingo.com and
is interesting because it offers unlimited calling to 17 countries
besides the U.S. and Canada.)

I just bought a Linksys router -- model WRT54G -- with the intent to
integrate it into the network and to have the Lingo VoIP adapter sit
between the Westell DSL modem and the Linksys router (the recommended
configuration); the computers and the printserver connected to the
Linksys, of course.  The Lingo VoIP adapter should be between the DSL
modem and the Linksys router so that it can prioritize voice traffic
over other network traffic when necessary.  The current hub will be
decommissioned.

I hooked up the Linksys as 192.168.1.2 per above and disabled the DHCP
server in the Linksys since I want to continue to have the Westell be
the DHCP server.  While I could reach the statically configured
computers on the network I was unable to get onto the net -- despite
having configured the Linksys as a router, not a gateway.

What else do I need to change?  I need to add that this is an all-OS/2
network, hence I cannot run the CD-ROM software supplied with the
Linksys.

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)