From: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2Wireless] need 'ireless' hub....
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:35:13 -0500
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

On 03/29/2005 10:26 pm, Stanley Sidlov thus wrote :

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:28 -0500, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

The LinkSys WRT54G can be put in bridge mode, too. This requires two of them, & appropriate firmware, but I've done this successfully, while maintaining 128-bit encryption and over a fairly long range (for a WRT54G).

why two? Won't it work with anything else?

I have no idea. Generally, it's easier to configure these things when you have a pair of them. At least this eliminates the issues involved between manufacturers.

I have a SMC 2655W AP already. It's a dumb "B" AP device. Does Access control and WEP. I went to CompUSA, and I was going to get a Linksys WET11, but saw that there was a Netgear WG602v3 http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/WG602v3.asp. Since the box had a diagram showing the 602 connected to a hub, with wired devices, and stated that it could be bridged, and had "G" functions, I decided to purchase that. It was the same price as the "B" only WET11. I have the 602 setup to be in Point-to-Point bridge mode. For now, I disabled it's wireless client portion. I turned off Access Control in the 2655W.

I set it to the following:

1. I had it generate keys, and I used the same Hex values (cut/paste) on the existing AP. (I've noticed that some devices don't use the same passphrase translation.)

Yep. Been there; done that. ;-)

2. I set it to use Open, and Long preamble. 3. I set it to be "B" only. 4. I can 'see' the other AP in the bridge table. I can see the channel, SSID, and signal strength. This is supposed to mean that I have configured the WEP and channels correctly. However, no device appears to get a DHCP response via the unit. Neither wired or wireless (when I reenabled the wireless client support.)

I have no clue.

Call Netgear support (I know that you hate hearing that as much as I hate saying it). Latest firmware in both devices?

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE
Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users International        www.novell.com/linux/truth
(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)