From: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: [OS2Wireless] Help - need crash course on setting up a firewall
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:22:28 -0500
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

Julian, in most cases, there's at least a NAT box between you and the outside world. This narrows down the list of possible attackers to those within the hotel and environs, and as Neil has pointed out (and as Sam has reiterated), eCS or OS/2 with no firewall is indeed more secure than W2K (or XP - remember, "XP" is for the "XPerience" of it all...). I typically do not concern myself when I'm in such venues. The greater risk is the passing of your email account info in clear text over the Wi-Fi link, and of course, your other unencrypted data in the open air of a relatively confined space (as with any hotspot).

I will soon be deploying secure SMTP and POP3 on my server, and will offer it not only to our existing clients but to everyone here. End-to-end encryption is truly the best way to secure email over Wi-Fi (short of a VPN).

Relax and enjoy your trip. I would. :-)

Julian Thomas wrote:

We're heading for a warmer place in another week, and one of the
attractions of the place where we are staying is free wireless internet.

I've been informed that there is NO Firewall, so am thinking I need to set
up either  the OS2 built-in one or the InJoy firewall.  Since I've only
recently added a wireless setup to my laptop, and I'm behind a
router/firewall here at home, I'm a novice as far as this is concerned.  I'd really rather use eCS than have to boot to W2k and use one of the
products available for the dark side :-(

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)