Mensaje archivado #3800 de la Lista os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

De: "R. Geoffrey Newbury" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Encabezados Completos
Mensaje no decodificado
Enviador: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Asunto: [OS2Wireless] 802.11g
Fecha: Tue, 08 Feb 05 15:32:39 -0500
Para: "os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Hello, All

I'm new to this list, (but not to OS/2). I'm thinking of purchasing a
wireless card so I can make use of the wireless capabilities of the
Linksys 54G router I recently bought.

This subject is *quite* confusing. This list is good, but it only archives
the messages and does not filter nor synthesize the results of all of your
testing and playing around.

So given that what is presently available is about to drop into the
remainder bins, here is the question:
What is the easiest (and cheapest) combination of hardware and software
which I can get, today and is there any prospect that a 11g combination is
likely to appear?

I'm running Warp 4, FP15, DD2, upgrades to WR8425/IP8532/UN0980 and
LanServer on an IBM Thinkpad 600E (triple booted with Mepis Linux (a
Debian based distro) and (gak!) Win98 (which I have to use occasionally)).
Note that this is the top of the TCPIP 4.0 range for OS/2. Presently this
machine is using a Xircom Cardbus RBE-100 PCMCIA card for its NIC...Hoping
to just plug in a wireless replacement.

(One of these days, when I get a 'round tu-it' I'm going to try the
upgrade to TCPIP4.1 which may, or may not, break the Lanserver side of
things...It *appears* that I may be able to upgrade some of the TCPIP
utilities manually so that things work. If it turned out that I could only
get a wireless driver to work with a 32 bit TCPIP, then I probably could
stop using server on the Thinkpad....I would revert to using Requester
against the desktop and back-room server....so compatibility is a small
issue).

I have not bought, nor am I likely to buy Software Choice or
eCS...although a recent UDF.IFS would be nice I really do think that my
PVR will be Linux based...

SO? What is the easiest route using a PCMCIA card?
 1) Buy an Artem card and use it's driver? (Does that have a Linux
and Win driver?
 2) Find one of the magic Cisco 350 cards...and then where do I
find the OS/2 driver which will work with it...? Links anyone?
 3) Find a someothercard with a Prism?/Orinoco chipset?
 4) Does it change things if I decide to get a Thinkpad T40 or
X30...what exactly are the distinguishing markers between the different
min-PCI cards and where do I find drivers for them?
 5) Is anyone trying to make an OS/2 version of ndiswrapper? Should
I wait for a .11g card and driver combo?

Answers/pointers need not be long...just some thoughts please.

Geoff

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 11:16:46 -0800, Neil Waldhauer wrote:

>What is hard is to make a complete, coherent OS/2 story. There always seems to
>be something missing or not quite there. 802.11 wireless is nowhere close to
>the weak point for OS/2. The point is to pay close attention to the customer,
>and to find what is essential.
>
>Right now, it's amazing we have even this much OS/2 support. Worrying about not
>having 802.11g support, when it's coming anyway, seems like a waste of time.
>Better to concentrate on the things we can change.

R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury@mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)

Correo al dueño de la Lista