Message #3822 des archives de la Liste os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

De: "Dave Saville" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> En-têtes complèts
Message brut
Expéditeur: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Sujet: [OS2Wireless] Using VPC with wifi
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 09:57:01 +0000 (GMT)
À: "os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 12:15:13 -0700, Andy Willis wrote:

>Virtual switch works fine with my wired card.  it doens't work with
>wireless, wireless cards can't go into promiscuous mode.  For use with a
>wireless card requires using NAT.  This is not ideal with my situation
>as I need to put a socks server on the windows system and connect to it
>from the host OS/2 system.  I can do this fine with the wired card but I
>don't remember the registry settings to open the NAT ports so I can't do
>it with my wireless card.

Yes, I too sometimes have a server running on win - hence the use of the
virtual switch. In fact I had completely forgotten that VPC had the NAT mode -
it is so long since I set it all up.

If you can't get at your default router to fix the return path you could set it
on all the boxes on the LAN - but that would preclude you going out to the
internet - it would get out but the reply would only get back as far as the
router that would not know what to do with it. As I am using a computer as a
firewall/router I don't have the problem as I can configure it anyway I want.
Which you can't always do with a hardwired box.

For example I now have a DLink DWL-700AP for wireless connections. It *claims*
to act as a dhcp server - which it does - sort of. The problem is there is no
provision to set DNS - it always supplies its own address as the server. I
guess it is supposed to route it onwards but I can't get it to work here. Any
lookup fails. Like nslookup will say unable to contact server on <whatever the
AP address is>

--
Regards

Dave Saville

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)

Écrire au gestionnaire de la liste