os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #385

Da: "Carl Gehr" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Linksys Wireless Router Firmware Replacement <====CLARIFICATION!
Data: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:02:39 -0500 (EST)

I guess I was not very clear about my question.  Jeffrey caught
it, but Mike did not.  MY FAULT!

My question was intended to be specific about using the OEM
firmware replacement for the code provided by Linksys.  Seeing
Jeffrey's reference to:
        www.dd-wrt.com
that I forgot to mention rang the bell.

using SeaMonkey.  There is a link on the Web version Tab for
'Administration' that allows this to work.  But, that was the
'official' Linksys update.  I'm not real happy with the latest
update that I did a few days ago.  Tomorrow, I am either going
to go back to the 1.50.14 level or try the DD-WRT code based
on what I here back from those who have tried the DD-WRT.

Thanks,
Carl

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=BEGIN FORWARDED MESSAGE=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:15:53 -0500 (EST)
Subject: [OS2Wireless] Linksys Wireless Router Firmware Replacement

[Primarily to Lewis R., but anyone should feel free to jump in.]

I have seen comments in the past about replacing the firmware provided
in Linksys Router/APs.  I've never felt a real need to do so in the
past, but after installing the latest/last level available for my:
>  Firmware Date    : April 7, 2005
>  Current Firmware : Version 1.52.02
>  Product PartNo   : BEFW11S4 ver.4
... I'm not convinced it is not causing more problems than I had with
the 1.50.14 level.

So, I have some questions about the replacements that have been
mentioned here.

1)  Where would I get the replacement?
2)  Is there a charge for the replacement?  If so, how much?
3)  Probably most important:  Why would I want to do the
    upgrade (?) versus what Linksys provides?
4)  Are there any downside issues to consider?

--
TIA,
Carl

From:  Carl Gehr