From: "Bob" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Router security
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 20:07:15 -0800

** Reply to message from "Ray Davison" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 17:20:26 -0800

> > WEP64 (which is really 48-bit encryption) is so weak that it is not even
> > worth using. An easier approach would be to use MAC address filtering,
> > as this will keep innocent wanderers off of your WLAN. The RC-4
> > encryption is weak enough, and at 48 bits, can be picked in seconds.
> > Don't even bother.
>
> Will you please elaborate on the "innocent wanderers"?  I have a had
> WRT54G for at least a couple years.  It has been set to WEP64 for no
> good reason, might have been default.  Is it possible for someone to be
> able to access the WEB thru someone else's router but not access their
> computers?  That seems to be the case here.  My wife was issued an XP
> pro laptop.  She claims she brought it home, opened IE, and it connected
> to the WEB.  Is this reasonable?

WEB is just an "exclusive or" of the data between your computer and router.  I
use it on my wireless network.  It only keep the clueless from looking at what
is being sent, any hacker would be able to crack in a few minutes.  I also use
MAC filtering so my neighbors will not get in but a hacker would be able to get
in if he captures enough data to break the WEP encryption and find the MAC
address inside.  So it is not very secure but it will keep your neighbors out.
I doubt that many hackers will drive by my neighborhood so I do not worry about
it.

> I just changed the router to WPA2 TKIP+AES, and she can no longer connect.
>
> I just got a replacement XP pro laptop.  At first it did not connect.  I
> copied the WPA key from the router and it connected to the WEB.  Does
> this all seem proper?

Sounds like you configured it correctly.

> I have only setup W2K and XP home before, and pro seems to be different
> enough that I have not been able to get to see the workgroup computers.

Check that you have the "work group" name in XP set correctly.

> Before I commit major disruption to my new laptop by installing a couple
> more OSs I would like to see what a stock Win box can do with my LAN.

Any thing the PEER can do.  File and printer sharing should work without much
problem.

--
Robert Blair