Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "warp4dennis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: My experience
Datum: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:45:48 +0100
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Hi:
FYI:  I'm not one who has got to have the newest 'what-ever'.  It may have something to do with being from
a not very well off family when growing up.  I was taught how to save by buying at discount stores.  My mother
would sew material from my old cloths on those spots that were subject to wear so I could get more mileage out of
vthe 'new'.
And this has stayed with me through the years.  Even with the PC.
Why by a whole PC when a new MB will do.
For many months now I have noticed that MBs which use an AMD processor are being replaced with others that  have newer chip sets and CPU socket, so I put off buying a newer MB basically because there were never enough
PCI  slots.   Most come with only 2, some with 3.   That was until a couple of weeks ago.
Gigabyte advertised on the Internet a new MB that has 4 PCI slots and is  AM2+ compatible.
So I bought one. What I since found out is I am not able to use Win2k with this MB.  The BIOS does not support Win2k. I have kept using Win2k because I have found that Win2k gives me a whole lot less gray hair.  Since the beginning
of the year I have been using XP as my main OS and Win2k as backup.  I would have preferred to keep it that way,
but the 'Spirits' are against it.
I also bought a different Video card.  A newer one that has some more 'oompf' for writing letters (ha, ha, ha).
And this new Video card also has no driver for Win2k so the desktop is shown at 640 X 480 pixels.
Another thing I noticed with the newer MBs, there  is only one IDE connection which makes it necessary for me to start using the SATA connectors and cable.
So because of progress it has become necessary for me to gut my PC and replace the MB, two DVDs, three HDDs and a
Video card in order for me to keep from being shut out.
For you who are interested here is what I have in my PC or soon will be.
MB: Gigabyte GA-M720-US3
Video Card:  Sapphire Ultimate Radeon HD 4670
DVDs:  One Plextor PX 820a and one Samsung SH - S202n
HDDs:  Two Samsung HD322HJ and One HD400LD.
The Samsung HDDs are wisper quiet and so are the DVDs.
I have only two fans for cooling.  One for the CPU and one for the Power Supply which are very quiet.  When they are
at work it is hard for me to tell even with one of the covers removed.
I just thought somebody out there would want to know.

Thomas