Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Opinions on a possible bargain
Datum: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:00:01 -0400
Za: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 03/19/09 04:20 am, Ed Durrant thus wrote :
Mark Henigan wrote:
Ed Durrant wrote:
Ray Davison wrote:

Mark Henigan wrote:

Hello Cognicenti:

Does anyone have an opinion about the usefulness of
the "Linksys WRT150N-RM Refurbished Wireless-N Home
Router" (Refurbished by Linksys / Cisco with a 90
Day Warranty) for the "Email Special" price of
$29.99? This would be for use under OS/2 - eCS, of
course.

I have had one for a couple weeks, but have not yet plugged it in. I'll try to move it nearer the top of my list.

Ray

My experience has been that all Linksys devices are configurable via a web interface. Some are supplied with "automatic configuration software" for those less technical and that software is invariably windows only.

Linksys is a good make. If that device were available in Australia at that price (or the equivalent in Aussie Dollars), I'd seriously consider replacing my Linksys WRT54G which has been running very well for about 6 years now !

Hello Ed:

Unfortunately, I didn't see your post until the
price had returned to $39.99 because the seller
is located on the East Coast. Do you think it's
worth it at that price, as well?

TIA,

- Mark

Mark Henigan
Looking at one ad for it:
http://estore.it-dreamz.net/linksyswrt150n-rmwirelessnremanufacturedrouter.aspx Although it says it's an "N" router (note warnings from other people "N" is not yet ratified so you may get compatibility problems) - they say transmission speed is only 54 Mb/s (i.e. G or A speed not 'N"). I hope this is just a typo.

I guess part of the equation should be what shipping will cost. If shipping is expensive, it could be better to buy locally at a higher price.

Do you already have a wireless router ? If not, then as long as the shipping isn't too much, this is still a good deal IMHO. If you already have a wireless router, unless you upgrade all of your current systems to "N" you wont get any advantage over a "G" or "A" router.

Sorry to be so late to the party (traveling)...

I wouldn't buy pre-N for possible post-ratification compatibility concerns, however, at even $39.99, this is a good deal. Even Draft-N equipment performs better for B & G clients than G access points. See here: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3680781 .

Essentially, in PCO mode (Phased Co-existence), you get some of the benefit of MIMO (Multiple Input/Multiple Output - the real technology behind 802.11n), even if on only one end of the connection.

Thus, if I had need for a new AP, and open source firmware was not an issue (not much - any? - available for the 150N, as yet), a $40 draft-N unit would be a good choice. If the standard changes much by ratification, it's only a $40 investment. I would not take the plunge insofar as upgrading all your clients to N, however.

Sorry I didn't get this posted sooner for you, Mark!

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Treasurer, Warpstock Corporation            www.warpstock.org