os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #488

Da: "tdennis" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Cell phone as dial-up modem
Data: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:15:15 +0200
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Ray Davison wrote:
What if anything is available to get a cell phone to act as a dial-up modem?  OS/2 would be nice but I will settle for Win.

I did this on my previous laptop with the help of Cingular.  I had the choice of paying by the byte or just treating it like an ordinary phone call and just being charged minutes.  I chose minutes.

I had not done it for a while, had to replace the laptop, Cingular has become AT&T, who now tells me I can't do that any more.  They now insist on a separate data plan which is not cost effective for occasional use.

On the desktop I can get free dial-up from several ISPs.  If I can get the OS to treat a cell phone as a modem I should be able to do it with a laptop.

Ray

Ray:
What is it that you are trying to do?
I'm asking because I have never used these English words together in that order
so I can't be sure if I understand you correctly.
If you are trying to do what I think you want to do than your cell phone  must be
UMTS compatible, at least that's what a European looks for if he wants to connect
his laptop to the Internet when he's underway and there are no 'hotspots' in the area.
Where on planet earth do you operate from?

Thomas