os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #504

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Networking problems, wireless and wired
Data: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 09:06:48 -0400
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Hi, Mark!

On 06/01/09 04:21 am, Mark Henigan thus wrote :
Leidengenossen:

I have been struggling with hardware for which
I can find little or no useful compatibility
information and which I seem to lack to ability
to install, unless I find that I have faulty
hardware.  That aside, on one box I have a
standard NIC and a wireless PCI card.  I would
like to be able to connect to a wireless router
sort of thingy (great word, Kris!) on a second
("server") box connected to the Internet.

The PC under discussion is based on an MSI
KT4Ultra motherboard.

*******

Craig Hart's PCI+AGP bus sniffer, Version 1.03vkA,
freeware made in 1996-2005.
Loaded Vendor Data : "This is version 567 of
this file; 01-09-2005 (D-M-Y)."

PCI BIOS Version 2.10 found!
Number of PCI Busses : 2
PCI Characteristics  : Config Mechanism 1 Special Cycle Mechanism 1

Searching for PCI Devices using the OEMHLP$ driver

 Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 6, Device Function 0
 Vendor 168Ch Atheros Communications Inc
 Device 001Ah Unknown
This is indeed supported by GenMAC 2.20:

GenMac Wrapper Atheros Wlan AR5005g [168C:001A]

<snip>
 Bus 0 (PCI), Device Number 8, Device Function 0
 Vendor 1011h Digital Equipment Corp (DEC)
 Device 0014h DecChip 21041-PB "Tulip Plus" Ethernet Adapter
This is a DEC 21041 (Intel-based). There is a native OS/2 driver for this card. If you don't see DC21X4.OS2 in your IBMCOM\MACS directory, then you may find one in Chuck's NICPAK from 2006: http://www.os2warp.be/index2.php?name=nicpak (look for DEC and download that zip instead of the entire thing).
<snip>
*******

This is the first box about which I have questions.

My first question is whether either of these has
a usable 'driver' under OS/2-eCS.  I believe the
hardwired NIC does.  I have serious doubts about
the DEC card that is supposed to be wireless but
provides so little information, none of which
suggests wirelessness (other than the strange but
well-established term "ethernet" that suggests
radio communications).

The DEC is the wired NIC; the Atheros is the wireless one.
If the wireless card appears to be either lacking
an adequate 'driver' or malfunctioning, what is a
reasonable alternative PCI-based card with antenna?

No need. The Atheros chipset is well supported by GenMAC.
Is this sufficiently enlightening?  Do you need
more information to begin to troubleshoot?

Nope!

Always look at the PCI ID string, which is in the format vendor:device, as in 1011h:0014h, or more appropriately, 1011:0014 (for your DEC). In this case, the 21041 model is also listed, though I tend to run a quick Google search on the PCI ID, just to be sure.

Again, Mark, you should have no trouble with either of these cards. Download and install GenMAC 2.20 base driver package along with the Atheros driver package from http://genmac.netlabs.org/en/site/downloads.xml .
Thank you for your thoughts.

That's why we're here! :-)

Cheers/2

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com