From: "Dave Saville" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] wrt54
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:00:52 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:59:52 +0700 Jeffrey Race wrote:

>First attempt to extend wireless to my step-father's house interrrupted
>when our house hit by lightning and a lot of eqpt damaged.
>
>Now I have bought a second WRT54GL but still retain OEM firmware.
>
>I have set it to fixed IP .1.103 so it will not conflict with DHCP
>devices on the existing home network.
>
>PROBLEM: I can address the WRT54 when I plug my pc directly
>into the LAN port on the WRT54, but not when I connect the WRT54
>to my home network (based on a router at 192.168.1.1).   It just
>doesn't reply when I ping it, and of course I cannot go in to reconfigure
>it remotely.   I can't even ping it when I connect my pc directly to
>its WAN port (using pc fixed ip address at .1.105).

I don't know the device but if it has a WAN and LAN port it would seem
that it is also a router. How are you connecting it to the network? ie
which port? You need to use a LAN port as we are talking internal
network addresses. To talk to the WAN port you need the WAN address. Or
are you trying to keep your step-father's house separate?

--
Regards

Dave Saville