From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] wrt54
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:35:08 -0400

Hi, Jeff...

On 06/11/09 06:59 am, Jeffrey Race thus wrote :
First attempt to extend wireless to my step-father's house interrrupted
when our house hit by lightning and a lot of eqpt damaged.

Now I have bought a second WRT54GL but still retain OEM firmware.

I have set it to fixed IP .1.103 so it will not conflict with DHCP
devices on the existing home network.

PROBLEM: I can address the WRT54 when I plug my pc directly
into the LAN port on the WRT54, but not when I connect the WRT54
to my home network (based on a router at 192.168.1.1).   It just
doesn't reply when I ping it, and of course I cannot go in to reconfigure
it remotely.   I can't even ping it when I connect my pc directly to
its WAN port (using pc fixed ip address at .1.105).

What must I do to be able to access the device from its WAN port?

You need to enable remote administration (this is access via the WAN port) and tell it to respond to unsolicited ping requests on the WAN port.

If you are connecting it via the WAN port, that is the port which should have the 192.168.1.x address assigned to it. Ensure that its private LAN (unused in this scenario thusfar) is on a different subnet altogether (192.168.2.0/24), as the factory firmware does not allow you to turn this off.

I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to do with the unit using the factory firmware. It will *not* bridge your connection as you had it set up to do previously.
Tks for all help

No problem!

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Warpstock - Albuquerque, NM, Aug 7-9, 2009  www.warpstock.org