Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Zadeva: OS/2 Wireless Users List: 802.11b OS/2 d
Datum: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:26:22 est5edt
Za: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

Wow, quite a bit to follow up on:

Charles McCallister wrote:

Lewis, > AFAIK, Charles, the A series is not officially supported for OS/2 Yeahbut... <g> Bill Morrow of thinkpads.com has almost a year ago provided me a contact
with  an individual that has managed to get OS/2 (possibly eCS, too)
working on the  newest A31 and assures me there will be no difficulties in
doing what I want  to do.

Bill is THE guy when it comes to knowing people who do great things with ThinkPads, especially under OS/2. He managed to put me in touch with a guy who had a working Lucent Winmodem driver for the T20 (turns out my miniPCI combo card had a newer serial number than the supported ones - at the time; there's a new driver available now). But, again, without Bill, I would have never found the right person to even ask.

My concern is still the 11b connectivity and I'll
certainly look  further into this fellow's successes and report back what I
find.

Much appreciated!

 > wonder whether their SNAP technology could ease the device driver  > development hurdles That's interesting, for sure.
I'll send the guys a note to kick the idea around, though by the sound of what Oliver and Jens have said, we may not be in such bad shape driver-wise as we thought. In addition, as so many of these cards are now using standardized (OEM) chipsets, the need for manufacturer-specific drivers begins to fade (well, Cisco is an enigma, but Oliver has said that is working hard on that, and his word is as good as gold with me!).

> hibernation support has been lacking from recent ThinkPads under OS/2 I'm letting others be the point persons on this and I have seen posts to
this  effect but haven't yet crossed that bridge. <g>
Knowing the fabulous things that Daniela Engert has done, is doing, and can do, I wouldn't be surprised if she comes up with an enhancement to her driver set that will allow this. And all under 50K. Programmers like that are a rare find in these days of megabyte & gigabyte RAM configurations. Remember when "lean" was in? These days, most guys seem to think of computers like closet space: the more you have, the more junk you need to fill it up!!

> A3x models only use the IBM  > High Rate wireless and not Cisco Don't truly understand the ramifications of this.
Oliver has clarified this point somewhat. Again, it goes to the difference between the need for an available Cisco driver vs the IBM High Rate driver, as the two cards are completely different. I haven't A/B'd the Cisco against the IBM, and I'm not even sure how the Cisco miniPCI specs compare to the Aironet 340 or 350. I'm guessing that the IBM card compares favorably & surpasses the LinkSys and other lower end cards, but I could be wrong (no experience whatsoever - yet).

BTW, Irv Spalten has allowed me the use of his "Friends and Family"
ID

Another great guy. In my early days with OS/2, Irv was invaluable with his help in the CIS forum (and beyond). Truly, a wonderful, selfless, kind of guy. Send him my regards...I haven't corresponded with him in years, now.

So, I'm  on the hunt for another IBMer that might be willing to
offer me the use of  their ID for this purchase. Anyone know anybody around
here? <G>
Hint...hint... ;-)

> quite amusing to see drivers  > for the following "unsupported" OSes Wireless drivers?
None yet. My guess is that the wireless drivers - when and if they are indeed released - will be SWC or eCS UP offerings, and not free downloads from the DD matrix or DD Pak.

> your participation in the list is  > greatly appreciated. List members like you Muchas gracias, amigo. And quite encouraging, to say the least. It's a nice
find when people like me because my day job seems to go the other way. <ROAR!>
I hear you loud and clear! :-)  the words were true, heartfelt, and well deserved. I've seen you (and others, of whom though I only made abbreviated mention) go well out of your way to offer help and advice to people and provide real insight beyond RTFM. Too often, these things go either unnoticed or unrewarded. I felt it important to point that out to you, my friend.

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA
Rosenthal & Rosenthal            :  Accountants / Network Consultants
New York / Northern Virginia     :                www.2rosenthals.com
Novell Users International       :                 www.whytheylie.com
OS/2's new face is eComStation   :                www.ecomstation.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------- This OS/2 system (Apollo) uptime is 0 days 00:51 hours and 28 seconds

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).