Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Zadeva: OS/2 Wireless Users List: 802.11b OS/2 d
Datum: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 10:22:18 est5edt
Za: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

AFAIK, Charles, the A series is not officially supported for OS/2 (though my wife's A22m runs very sweetly, thank you, with the T series drivers). All the notebooks (of which I'm aware) which include integrated wireless networking use the display frame as the antenna; a good idea, I'm sure. I don't know if there are any other issues with the A31 running OS/2 (audio compatibility, etc.). Video shouldn't be a problem, though, thanks to SciTech. And speaking of SciTech, I wonder whether their SNAP technology could ease the device driver development hurdles...

I agree with being able to run the full functionality of the machine from all of your OSes. I'm continually frustrated that hibernation support has been lacking from recent ThinkPads under OS/2 (and actually, when it was available, it only worked either to a reserved partition or to a hibernation file located in a FAT volume).

From the DD matrix, it appears that the A3x models only use the IBM High Rate wireless and not Cisco. I wonder, then, whether the as-yet-to-be-released IBM drivers will work for the mini PCI wireless NIC as well as the PCMCIA version? Perhaps Oliver can comment on this, at least to the point of whetehr they've been tested. If so, you may be in good shape in short order. Also, I notice that IBM direct is offering a free UnltrBay battery with purchases through the 16th or 17th of this month. Considering the cost of an UltraBay battery ($200+, I've seen), that sounds like a good deal. (It's also quite amusing to see drivers for the following "unsupported" OSes listed in the DD matrix: DOS, Win 95 - 95, would you believe it? - , and OS/2.)

Charles McCallister wrote:

Lewis, I'm thinking the newer A31 has the sweetest setup for 11b connectivity, no cards. All onboard and the antenna(s) surround the screen. Not sure if the
T30  is up-to-snuff with the A31 offering, but then again I haven't viewed
the T30  in quite some time. Maybe the driver situation is similar to the T30 but I'm not sure. Of
course,  if I break the piggy bank for the A31, I'm going to want to have
the 11b  operational from the eCS partition as well. Charles [22:46 CT, 04-Mar-03]

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA
Rosenthal & Rosenthal            :  Accountants / Network Consultants
New York / Northern Virginia     :                www.2rosenthals.com
Novell Users International       :                 www.whytheylie.com
OS/2's new face is eComStation   :                www.ecomstation.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------- This OS/2 system (Apollo) uptime is 0 days 01:00 hours and 21 seconds

(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).