Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: os2-wireless_users-owner <os2-wireless_users-owner@2rosenthals.com>
Zadeva: OS/2 Wireless Users List: Devi ce driver development
Datum: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:22:11 est5edt
Za: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

Obviously, you have a point, Neil. I still think that it shouldn't take that much work to design & implement the driver, given a modicum of support form the hardware manufacturer (naturally, if one were forced to disassemble and reverse-engineer the thing, then the clock starts spinning, but this is neither desirable nor legal - usually).

What I think we all find annoying is that while we all agree that an extra $100 or so for a card is an acceptable premium to pay the manufacturer for providing a compatible card & driver set, and while manufacturers could probably find 400-600 sales in the OS/2-eCS community as it stands today, they don't make the effort, so we have to seek alternatives. :-\

Neil Waldhauer wrote:

Well, I think the price is neither unfair, nor unaffordable for the right
customer. It does show why we as users cannot get software for our favorite
platform, but I'm getting that you can't imagine a world where we get drivers
like this just because they only cost $40-60K.

Look at the Artem-based cards from Mensys. You get a good 802.11b card for
about $150, which Windows users could get a similar quality card for $50. The
extra $100 is amortization for the $40-60K driver cost. Work it out -- that is
400 to 600 cards.

Neil

Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA
Rosenthal & Rosenthal            :  Accountants / Network Consultants
New York / Northern Virginia     :                www.2rosenthals.com
Novell Users International       :                 www.whytheylie.com
OS/2's new face is eComStation   :                www.ecomstation.com
(omit the quotes).

For help with other commands, send a message
to steward@2rosenthals.com with the command
"help" in the body (omit the quotes).