os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #534

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Networking problems, wireless and wired
Data: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 16:08:36 -0400
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 06/17/09 03:19 pm, Mark Henigan thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Always look at the PCI ID string, which is in the format vendor:device, as in 1011h:0014h, or more appropriately, 1011:0014 (for your DEC). In this case, the 21041 model is also listed, though I tend to run a quick Google search on the PCI ID, just to be sure.

Hello Lewis:

I do but had forgotten that there is easy access
to a list of corresponding hardware in GenMAC.

This one is listed as an Intel NIC.  I had this
listed to install previously but could never
connect to/through it.  It is again being shown
on boot to be installed.  I guess I need to run
XWlan to see if I can have it connect.

Again, Mark, you should have no trouble with either of these cards. Download and install GenMAC 2.20 base driver package along with the Atheros driver package from http://genmac.netlabs.org/en/site/downloads.xml .

During the boot there is a flashing message

"NO VALID HARDWARE FOUND FOR THIS DRIVER"

or something equally deadend.  So, it's found
by a bus sniffer but not by the driver?  I would
have expected something more detailed from the
driver such as 'hardware found but not responding.'

This does happen. It happens, for example, with the Broadcom NICs in HP Proliant servers, where the PCI sniffers sees them but they are not visible to GenMAC. I have not made a specific request about this on the GenMAC list, as I did not want to have my head snapped back by a certain person there who is relatively close to the development of the GenMAC driver (not mentiioning any names, of course...).
More thoughts?  I would consider taking this to the
GenMAC group; but, things have been pretty non-
productive there lately.

Indeed, and that is a sad thing.

You installed the native driver for the DEC and GenMAC 2.20 for the Atheros? Try only installing the DEC driver and see what you get. If that works, then add GenMAC for the wireless and see what happens. The Atheros should certainly come up under GenMAC, but again, you probably need the native driver for the DEC.
Thank you,

Surely. Cheers. Hope you can make it to Warpstock this year.

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Warpstock - Albuquerque, NM, Aug 7-9, 2009  www.warpstock.org