From: Lewis G Rosenthal <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] good choice for wireless pcmcia card
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:22 -0400
To: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

I'll have to check my firmware rev, Andy. I think it's the last one before
Cisco broke non-Windoze support.

Worried too much about security? That's a hard question to answer. How's
the lock on your front door at home? Personally, while I live in a quiet
lower-upper-middle class suburb on Long Island, I should probably have a
deadbolt on my front door. In actuality, I do not. In fact, I still have
the original double front doors on the house from '68, with nine lites in
them. So, no only do I not have a deadbolt, but I have easily breakable
glass panels on them. Do I worry? Not really. I have a dog (okay, so he' a
big friendly Collie and not a Doberman, but he'd probably get pretty mean
if someone wanted to hurt my little girls).

The idea is that WEP is a first line defense, not a one and only one. By
far, the biggest risk you run is someone piggy-backing your broadband
connection. Sure, someone can pick off your email passwords and even
intercept your mail, but once the signal is recorded, given enough time,
even 128-bit WEP can be cracked.

The best combination is a service which handles SSL or TLS for POP & SMTP.
Couple that with WEP, and you have a multiple layer security scheme. Of
course, your passwords without SSL or TLS can be hacked from other places
on the net (servers, packet sniffers, etc.), so for me, WEP becomes more of
a "feel-good" technology. WPA intoduces TKIP, which automates the key
rotation, and this increases WEP's effectiveness by an order of magnitude.
Without key rotation, it's just a matter of capturing enough packets over a
lng enough period of time to crack the encryption (a couple weeks with
128-bit and a busy network; a few hours with 64-bit).

In all but office & apartment building scenarios, I find WEP to be more
trouble than it's worth. Do you encrypt your wired, wireless, or cellular
phones? :-)
___
Lewis
___