Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Bob" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] Recommendations for small wireless bridge for using Vonage ATA while travelling
Datum: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 15:47:05 -0800
Za: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Jeffrey Race" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Sat, 22 Dec 2007 16:16:07 +0700

> Suppose I connect the computer to the router before powering up the router.
> Will the login page appear on the computer so I can log in?

The router has to connect to the hotel (or any other) network before it can
route network traffic from the other side.  Since it can not interact with the
login web page it can not get connected to the hotel network (until you get
through the login web page the hotel network will not pass your connection to
the internet).

>   In this case the access point should see the MAC address of the client.

I know of no routers that pass the MAC address from the LAN side of the router
to the network side of the router.  Also the routers use NAT (network address
translation) so your computer is partially hidden from the internet.

Someone else suggested to use a laptop as a router/bridge to connect to the
internet (you need two NICs in the laptop one wired and one wireless which is
pretty much the standard for current laptops).  I have seen this done (and have
actually been connected to the internet through another laptop) but it would
probably need to be set up manually because the normal configuration is to have
the system configured as a peer connection.  Using the laptop as the router you
can then interact with the login web page and afterwards any connection through
the laptop will appear to be coming directly from the laptop and not from
another device.

--
Robert Blair

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)