????????? #5495 ?????? ?????? ???????? os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

??: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> ?????? ?????????
?????????????? ?????????
????: Re: [OS2Wireless] OT: Switch problem
????: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 00:12:35 -0700
????: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Jeffrey Race" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:22:29 +0700

> Due to excess of accessories over number of ports on my dsl modem/router
> (Speedstream 5681) I have interposed a GigaFast EZ500-S   10/100 Mbps
> NWay Switch to serve a printer and computers.  These work fine, but my two
> VoIP adapters cannot complete the login process so the VoIP numbers do
> not function when their adapters' lan cables pass through the switch instead
> of to the router directly.  The diagnostic message on the Linksys IP phone
> display suggests it is stalling at a DNS lookup.
>
> I'd appreciate if someone could either tell me what I am doing wrong, what
> is the simple fix, or what more I need to read or do to educate myself to
> diagnose and solve this kind of problem on my own.

I had a similar problem using some donated parts to get my daughter set up
uising a Speedstream modem and a Netgear router/wireless AP piece.  Speedstream
DSL modem that had two modes: PPOA and PPOE.  In the one mode, it got the IP
from the provider and then provided DHCP service to the computer.  No NAT, but
it did simple routing.  In the other mode, it just acquire the DSL connection
but did not perform the login, etc.  Just a dumb bridge.  In that second mode
(sorry, can't get the details straight, but there were only two), the device on
the other side of the modem was responsible for handling all the login and IP
handling stuff.  In the first mode, it worked fine for a single machine (it
only had one input port, so it was restricted to a single computer) but it
wouldn't handle multiple requests from multiple sources thru a hub.

The Netgear also had PPOE/PPOA modes and after some fiddling I figured out that
the Netgear could be made to work with either modem configuration but that it
worked best when I configured the modem as a simple bridge - completely
oblivious to any IP info - and let the Netgear handle the DHCP request/login to
the ISP then ran it's own internal DHCP server to serve out the internal
addresses to the local computers and the wireless AP on it.

Two gotchas with the setup.  First, both the Netgear and the Speedstar wanted
to use the same 192.168.0.xxx address for setup.  That complicated life no end
until I figured it out.  Then, in the final I used the Netgear wanted to pass
its own address as the DNS so that it became a DNS proxy for the local network.
In that mode, I couldn't address the DSL modem setup because the router portion
wouldn't pass the 192.168.0.xxx address on to the modem so I couldn't access
the setup interface without unplugging things and switching cables.  It it also
cached DNS requests which made it a bear to clear if you got things messed up.
Anyway, after a couple of hours of experimenting I finally got it all set up
for her.

This could easily be the battle you are fighting.  The problem with the setup
is getting past having two levels of DHCP in the loop - that will cause all
sorts of grief.  The best results I get is with the Speedstar in the bridge
mode feeding a router/switch feeding the local network.  You might also want to
look and make sure that the DNS server is in fact the one provided by the ISP -
or any usable DNS service on the internet - and that the DHCP server is passing
a non local address as the DNS rather than serving as a proxy DNS for you.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)