Archivovaná správa #5523 diskusnej skupiny os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

Od: "Julian Thomas" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Celá hlavi?ka
Nedekódovaná správa
Odosielate?: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Hlavi?ka: Re: [OS2Wireless] OT ISP behavior (was: Wired woes - Marvell thread)
Dátum: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:44:51 -0500
Komu: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

   at 01:19 PM, "Mark Henigan" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> typed:
>1. Is the idea of obtaining domain names through
>large ISPs such as SBC-Yahoo! more fantasy than
>reality?

Somewhere in between; usually a bad idea.

>2. What must I do to gain ownership or a
>legitemate lease on "my" domain name?

Best bet is to register it yourself. I like pairnic.com - godaddy.com has
mixed reviews and is probably cheaper.

>3. Do I need to consider obtaining a fixed
>Internet address and operating my own email
>server?

Probably not a good idea unless you are an internet security wizard.

You can create an entry level web hosting account at pair.com for (I
think) $6.95/month; less if you pay quarterly or annually) and a modest
setup fee. This gives you a number of email addresses which can either be
redirected somewhere else, or accessed using POP3 or IMAP or a webmail
interface.

Full disclosure: I have created a number of websites for various clients
and almost all of them are hosted by pair.com.

>4. Given my hopes of access to my email and
>(if I ever have one) website via Verizon's
>broadband wireless network, am I going to have
>problems in addition to simply establishing a
>connection to Verizon?

See above. If you host at pair (or one of a multitude of other hosting
services), your VZ connection doesn't have anything to do with your
email/website other than being part of the transport mechanism.

--
 Julian Thomas:   jt@jt-mj.net    http://jt-mj.net
 In the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country of New York State!

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)

Prihlási?: Nap??a?, Súhrn, Index.
Odhlási?
Mail na ListMastera