os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #5526

Da: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Mittente: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] OT ISP behavior (was: Wired woes - Marvell thread)
Data: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:37:07 -0700
A: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Mark Henigan" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on
Sun, 25 Nov 2007 13:19:19 -0800

> I have been confused by the various means that
> appeared to have been available for establishing
> a personal website with a domain name of my
> choosing.  I thought that I had done so with
> SBC-Yahoo! (driven-zen.org) and still have email
> addresses attached to it that are accessible to
> me.  However, when still under SBC-Yahoo! I found
> that it was actually a GeoCities page, clearly
> not a professional-looking or -behaving "site"
> and not what I thought I was getting when I paid
> extra for "Premium" services.  Now that I am
> under AT&T-Yahoo all of the services that paid
> for are part of the basic package and no trace
> remains of my having been enrolled for premium
> services.
>
> During the years since I "established" my own
> domain, I received what I assumed were spam
> attempts to get me to pay to keep the domain
> name I had chosen.  I just ignored these since
> they did not come from anyone connected with my
> ISP.
>
> 1. Is the idea of obtaining domain names through
> large ISPs such as SBC-Yahoo! more fantasy than
> reality?
>
> 2. What must I do to gain ownership or a
> legitemate lease on "my" domain name?
>
> 3. Do I need to consider obtaining a fixed
> Internet address and operating my own email
> server?
>
> 4. Given my hopes of access to my email and
> (if I ever have one) website via Verizon's
> broadband wireless network, am I going to have
> problems in addition to simply establishing a
> connection to Verizon?
>
> Any thoughts are welcome.

Mark, I've been going thru this myself.  Right now, I have a personal website
and one for our church with Yahoo small business.  That's $11.95 a month and
it's a full-blown hosting setup although a tad limited on running your own
services.  They also ding you good for Domain registration, so I'm looking to
move.

For several years I've ran a website for an organization using Vortexhost.com.
We only used the starter package ($5 a month) and the allowed storage/bandwidth
are pretty tight but it was enough to hold more material than we could use.
They also provide MailMan as well as typical services like PHP and MySql and
Webmail.  Reliability was excellent, but they do NOT offer domain registration
services.

That led me to the outfit that served our domain registration ($6.95 for 2
years, AIR).  I am looking at them now for hosting the two Yahoo-hosted sites
now.  They have an interesting "pro" package that I thought was good at $7.95 a
month for 300GB storage and more bandwidth than I could possibly use.  Webmail,
etc. are included and the first domain name is free.  Matter of fact, they have
a special on right now and the price for the pro version is $4.95 - even us
cheapskates can swallow that!  I have now idea on the service level with them
as a host, but it's worth a look.

vortexhost.com and ipower.com are the sites to check.  Anyone with comments on
ipower as a host, please chime in.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)