os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #5643

Da: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Mittente: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] DSL Routers
Data: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:05:25 -0600
A: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:26:33 -0400

> This is interesting news, indeed, and I'm sure you'll recall our
> discussion here of the DSL issues at my New York location, Will. In my
> case, however, I am using older Westell Wirespeed bridges on both of my
> lines, which predate the release of the AR7, IFAIK.

This was the first I had heard of anything like but I thought others might have
seen other reports if it were a reasonable claim.  I had a Siemans Speedstar
DSL modem here for a while before the daughter made off with it (kids are
contagious - they make tools grow legs) and it had a very good diagnostic built
in.  It confirmed the state of the line (poor, but usable) and I've put
professional monitors on the line as well.  Given what it has to work with,
I've been really happy with that Actiontec modem/router.  Since it runs Linux
(Busybox) and the standard firewall, I can do about what I want to it and
forget about Windows firewalls  - which I don't think much of anyway.  Anything
that will run 160k down, 90k up with retrans rates of less than 3 per hour on a
6 hour bit torrent session while showing a SNR of 2 has to be doing something
right <g>.

What I find interesting is that when Qwest starts playing musical servers, I
see attenuation levels that vary by as much as 10db - and appear to track the
server in use every time.  Makes me wonder how much the last mile really
contributes here.  Of course, this neighborhood still has some relics of one of
the last cross-bar switches to be decommissioned so modern it ain't.

Just a curiosity item to tuck away but it does raise some interesting questions
about what service we really get.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)