From: "Al Heath" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] VPC under eCS on TP
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:16:56 -0500

FYI

I run XP in a window under VPC 5.1 on Warp CP 2. (What better place to put Windows than in a Window <g>) The XP virtual machine gets a real valid DCHP address just like it would if it were a standalone box, and it is compatible with the real network address on the OS/2 host, complete with name servers, etc. I'm assuming you have MPTS set up with the Innotek Virtual Switch Protocol on the real hardwired NIC, and then on the Innotek Virtual Switch Mac you have the "real" protocols you want - i.e. IBM TCP/IP, IBM OS/2 NETBios over TCP/IP, etc... As I recall, VPC does not support any wireless NICs, only the hard cable NIC. But I think with enough playing around, one could get the hardwired NIC to IP forward back around to the wireless NIC on the OS/2 side, but I haven't tried getting that to work.

Anyway, the first thing to check is that the IP address you got assigned on the Windows side is a compatible address/subnet. i.e. if your OS/2 side is 192.168.1.101 then perhaps your Windows side might be 192.168.1.103, etc... I have never tried SVista, so I don't know if that works differently as Ed was suggesting below:

Al

-- -- Ed Durrant wrote:

on the virtual windoze system, when you do a ifconfig /all, do you have
a default route listed - if so what is it ? Do you also have DNS servers
listed ? and lastly I would expect the IP address supplied NOT to be
part of the external network, rather part of the virtual network
(although I could be mixing this up with SVista). It's probably a good
idea for you to cut and paste the full output of ipconfig /all here and
also if you have a windoze system on  your LAN (not virtualised) an
IPCONFIG /ALL from there as well.

cheers/2

Ed.