os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #5680

Da: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Mittente: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Oggetto: [OS2Wireless] DSL Routers
Data: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:02:13 -0600
A: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

I hate to post something close to on-topic, but an article on TheRegister.com
today (http://www.theregister.com/2007/10/22/zen_ar7_infineon_bt_fault/) caught
my eye since the links in the article listed the router I use (Actiontec
GT701-WG)  happened to be in the list of affected devices.

One major British ISP is linking frequent ADSL dropouts to the particular
chipset used in the DSL modem section of the router.  Linksys and Netgear are
also in the list, so this may affect a bunch of folks.  The gist of the article
and the related links is that this chip set is especially sensitive to
connections where the SNR changes frequently and manifests itself with frequent
dropouts and re-trains.  I have intermittent problems with that here, so I'd be
interested in what others may be seeing.

In my case, I'm fairly far from the CO (about 2000 meters) and the wiring in
this area was laid underground in 1970-71, so this is not an ideal setup to
begin with.  I see near end SNRs of 2-18 on a fixed 1.5mb line.  I will see a
continuous connection for maybe a week, then go through maybe 3-4 days of
frequent drops and reconnects with a few hours on each linkup.  The system
seems to cycle through various servers before settling on one that lasts for a
week or two. Funny part is, the stable connection is generally to a server with
a lower initial SNR than seen on the other servers but it endures where the
better quality signal will vary by as much as +-50% over the course of a day
and is almost certain to drop out within 24 hours.

Anyone else seeing something like this? Any thoughts on improving the stability?

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)