os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #5705

Da: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Mittente: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Road Runner (was: Re: [OS2Wireless] LinkSys WRT54G bridge help?)
Data: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 12:11:31 -0600
A: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Mon, 08 Oct 2007 13:45:32 -0400

> On 10/08/07 11:38 am, Lothar Frommhold thus wrote :
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I want to set up a WLAN at home using Roadrunner or similar and cable.
> > Roadrunner will support Windoze operating systems only and I wonder if
> > one can use eCS 2.0 and get it to work (2 laptop computers plus 1
> > printer). I have currently a DSL WLAN up and running (but find the
> > connections to be unreliable and flaky). Would the same (or similar)
> > setup be working with the Roadrunner cable modem? Any help you could
> > give me is much appreciated.
> >
> Hi, Lothar. While most everyone has already addressed your issue, let me
> just add a couple other points to bear in mind:
>
>    1. (For everyone else on this list.) Road Runner is typically a cable
>       setup. In the northeast US, it is marketed by Time Warner and a
>       couple other cable companies.
>    2. Broadband Reports regularly give RR good write-ups; the
>       performance is acceptable, and usually reliable (though in some
>       cases, both may be slightly untrue; I've had some issues in the
>       past couple years with Time Warner's RR offering - erratic
>       bandwidth and long service delays).
>    3. Some cable installations require (as Al has pointed out) a MAC
>       address to associate with your account. Often, this is transmitted
>       to the provider via an ActiveX control installed under IE, thus
>       requiring a Win32 machine. Usually, however, you may walk through
>       this with tech support if you do not have a Win system online, and
>       the MAC is typically available on a sticker on the underside or
>       back of the cable interface adapter (or "modem," as most of these
>       companies like to call them - including Motorola; I've since given
>       up on explaining to the level 1 tech people why it's not a modem...).
>    4. In order to obtain a DHCP lease (address), it is sometimes
>       necessary to clone the MAC address of one of your wired machines
>       into your router (not the Road Runner interface, but your own
>       router/firewall behind it, such as a LinkSys WRT54G). If you find
>       that you simply can't obtain an address, check this out.
>    5. Further to #4, remember that as you will likely only get a single
>       DHCP address, it is usually necessary to power down your cable
>       equipment when switching to a different piece of hardware (unless
>       you clone the MAC address). You may need to remain offline for a
>       couple of minutes for your lease to expire and be able to obtain
>       another one for the "new" hardware. This is normal, and probably
>       similar to your experience with DSL hardware (assuming you're not
>       using PPPoE or static addressing).
>
> Good luck, and let us know how your new connection works out!

Items 4. and 5. are moot since you are using a router to connect to the modem.
In the last 2 weeks I've done what you want to do with Qwest DSL, RR cable, and
a local wireless supplier.  All 3 use different "modems" but that is totally
transparent to anything past the router.  Make that 4 systems - the only one I
had to do anything to besides entering the account id and password was a local
cable company that Comcast bought out.  That one wanted the MAC address of the
ethernet card they provided and it took a phone call to get it set to the MAC
address of the ROUTER instead of the ethernet card they provided.  I used an
old Linksys BEFW1164 router on one and a Netgear $25 fry's special on the
Comcast line - both routers were smart enough to handle the negotiations once
they had the required data.  Only one service wanted the MAC address - the
others wanted only an account ID and password.  The laptops and other boxes
never knew the difference other than having to force the 24/7 units to get a
new DHCP lease to get a pass-thru DNS address.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)