Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Al Heath" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] LinkSys WRT54G bridge help?
Datum: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 11:07:10 -0500
Za: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Lothar wrote:
>> I have currently a DSL WLAN up and running (but find the
>> connections to be unreliable and flaky). Would the same (or similar)
>> setup be working with the Roadrunner cable modem?

I am assuming that since you are posting on a wireless list, and that you have 2 laptops, and that you already have a DSL connection, and that your subject lists help with a WRT54G (wireless router).... that you have this wireless router already and that your laptops go thru to get out onto your existing DSL.  So, with that in mind... just plug the WAN port of the router into the cable modem standard ethernet port and power up the cable modem, then the router, then your laptops.  Unless you've hard coded things in your wireless router, the wireless router will pick up the new IP address and such via it's DHCP client request to RoadRunner, and if your laptops are picking up DHCP addresses from your router... all will be transparent.

Now for the minor glitch... As Roadrunner is saying they support Windoze... it is probably from a end user initial activation script that they want to install and add all sorts of stuff to a windoze 'puter.  On the initial activation, Roadrunner needs to know the MAC address of your cable modem but a simple call to customer service can get that set up and provisioned without all the other crap they likely want to install "to enhance your experience" <g>.  So, likely your only minor annoyance is the call to them to say you are running "Linux" (so as to not overwhelm them) and need to have them provision your modem (for MAC address given on the cable modem box ... get the "right" one... the "normal" ethernet port and not the USB port mac address) for the initial account activation.

Al H