From: "Christian Langanke" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Is it time to commission a driver project apart from GenMAC?
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:56:16 +0200 (CEST)

Hey Lewis,

> I would prefer that this thread stay right where it is. Adrian
> *completely* missed the points I was trying to make, and now, there is
> probably more of a mess than if I would have just not posted anything.

Hmm, I talked to him and had a different impression. This is the only
reason for this post in this list.

> I am proposing a separate project, conceptually different from GenMAC,
> open source, legal in its packaging, and a collaborative effort.

That was completely clear to Adrian and me.

> As we
> found ourselves in the situation with Jens, when *one* person is
> responsible for the development of a single piece of very important
> software, there is *always* the opportunity for something to go awry.

This is not much comparable with Genmac. Tthe sources from Jens are closed
source and definitely never will go open source, as they are owned by
others. Genmac is not yet open source in terms of existing with an open
accessible source archive, but I have very good reason to not consider it
being closed source like the sources of Jens. As I see it, having it truly
open source is a question of time and priority, so from the standpoint of
netlabs.org there is no reason to think tht one day the project will just
shut down and the source is not available then.

> My statements concerning the state of the project were not directed
> toward the development of the driver, but rather, the closed source.

Understood. This is why it makes sense to ask netlabs.org if the project
is really closed source or not. If not, the discussion may not be
required.

> We have a problem here tht I am trying to open for discussion. GenMAC is
> Willibald's project, and he may do with it as he wishes.

netlabs.org is the reason that this driver has grown to more than just a
technology study. From my eyes the cooperation between Willibald Meyer and
netlabs.org, for this and much more projects, is that tight that the
things Willibald wishes to do with the project for the last two years are
more than welcome for netlabs.org, and likely all of us.

> That doesn't negate the
> pressing need for more than one developer to have full access to source
> and to be able to contribute talent to the project.

I very much second the aim to make it open source.  It took quite some
time, but meanwhile Willibald himself thinks that way and is willing to do
so. During that time I think I addressed this towards Adrian whenever we
spoke about Genmac, so in fact I am very much of your opinion. As I see
that we finally convinced Willibald, I don't see a reason to create a
second project, but make sure that Genmac finally goes OpenSource.

About the contribution of talents: I would say that only a handful of
persons is able to code on that level, and only one person has time for
doing so. Making something OpenSource won't help much here, as many
OpenSource Projects have shown that they do well only if they are funded.
Unless that comes true, I expect that not much will change. Nevertheless
the step to OpenSource must come.

> This is *my* thread, on *my* list. Please keep it here.

Didn't mean to steal it from you ;-) Please understand my wish as a try to
make every thought about this discussion available also to the people
working on Genmac. If I wouldnt have read it, Adrian may have never or
only later known that such a discussion is underway. And not taking into
account that Genmac's situation is much better that being thought of by
users, does not help anybody.

In order to spread the word, I will suggest to add this specific
OpenSource topic to a session about Genmac, being planned for Warpstock
Europe for November this year. Of course the presentation will be
available afterwards.

bye, Christian

Christian Langanke
COS2E & CWSE
Team OS/2 Ruhr e.V.
cla@clanganke.de

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)