From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Is it time to commission a driver project apart from GenMAC?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 21:39:53 -0400

On 09/24/07 04:02 pm, Christian Langanke thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Most of us on this list are aware of the current GenMAC situation (which is relatively unchanged from where it has been for the past couple years, to wit, closed source). Is it time to think about "porting" (or adapting) something like MadWiFi (http://madwifi.org/) or one of the Intel-based projects (http://ipw3945.sourceforge.net/, http://ipw2100.sf.net/ or http://ipw2200.sf.net/)?

<snipped the following>

Hi all,

I forwarded this to Adrian Gschwendt, netlabs.org as I definitely know that he would have some comments on this. Being generally open to any discussion, my only comment at this point is that I second very much to better discuss this in the genmac mailing list, so that Adrian can react to all comments.

This wasn't meant for such consumption...
In order to achieve this, I just posted exactly this to the Genmac list and _would like to ask everybody to follow this thread at gmane ONLY_.

I would prefer that this thread stay right where it is. Adrian *completely* missed the points I was trying to make, and now, there is probably more of a mess than if I would have just not posted anything.

<snip>

To read Adrian's response and my follow-up, please consult the GenMAC list.

I am proposing a separate project, conceptually different from GenMAC, open source, legal in its packaging, and a collaborative effort. As we found ourselves in the situation with Jens, when *one* person is responsible for the development of a single piece of very important software, there is *always* the opportunity for something to go awry.

My statements concerning the state of the project were not directed toward the development of the driver, but rather, the closed source. We have a problem here tht I am trying to open for discussion. GenMAC is Willibald's project, and he may do with it as he wishes. And yes, I am indeed thankful that the fruits of his labor have made it possible for me to use the wireless NIC in my ThinkPad. That doesn't negate the pressing need for more than one developer to have full access to source and to be able to contribute talent to the project.

This is *my* thread, on *my* list. Please keep it here.

Thanks.

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users Int'l       www.novell.com/openenterpriseserver
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)