Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Chris Hodgkins" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] First experience with Vista and Wi-Fi
Datum: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 04:16:39 +0100
Za: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 15:21 -0400, Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
> Apologies for the reference in the subject to the Evil Empire's latest
> alphaware foisted on an unsuspecting public... I just thought this
> worthy of note.
>
> A couple weeks ago, I had occasion to break from the network upgrade I
> was doing to visit a client whose two new Gateway notebooks (no, he
> didn't get them form me, nor did I recommend them - egad, no!) were
> having trouble connecting to his venerable LinkSys WRT11. I convinced
> him that it was indeed time to upgrade the router/AP, and start with a
> fresh WRT54G and perhaps opensource firmware (though I ended up sticking
> - for the time being - with the factory pack). Out we went to pick one up.
>
> I configured the unit for WPA2 encryption, TKIP+AES, PSK (LinkSys refers
> to this as "Personal") which I find to be the most user-friendly (some
> non-standard clients have trouble with AES or TKIP - usually AES - so
> accepting both makes things a bit easier).
>
> I was (as most of you on this list might guess) rather unimpressed with
> Vista, particularly on the substandard Gateway hardware (selling
> machines with Vista and only 512MB RAM is like selling W2K stations with
> 128MB...it's not even a bad joke). However, my impression of Vista was
> not simply as a result of the lackluster performance, but more the
> inordinate amount of clicking to get to the proper area to set things up
> (even after I figured out where it was).
>
> Once connected, I turned off beaconing in the AP. The notebooks
> continued to work for the rest of the time I was there. I had a
> workstation downstairs with an older LinkSys PCI card in it, which I
> upgraded (the new card was defective, and kept dropping the signal; a
> subsequent replacement resolved the issue). A couple days later, my
> client called me to tell me that he couldn't get either of the notebooks
> to connect. After a few minutes on the phone, I had him log into the
> WRT54G from his wired desktop and turn beaconing back on. This seemed to
> resolve the problem.
>
> I know we have kicked around on this list various issues with GenMAC and
> non-beaconing AP's. I generally do not have a problem, but I was
> wondering whether I missed a change in the RFC's somewhere? The
> workstation downstairs with the LinkSys PCI card had no trouble once I
> set up the profile with the (rather long) PSK. I was able to reboot
> several times and get right onto the network.

I used to set most of the Access Points installed so that beaconing was
disabled; unfortunately that extra 'security by obscurity has bitten me
in the ass from time to time as well.
In my particular instance it was a Linux distribution and its Network
Manager app that tripped up when no SSID was being broadcast rather than
XP or Vista.
For a quieter life I now leave beaconing on.

cheers

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)