Poštni seznam arhiviranih sporo?il

Od: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Glava
Izvorno E-sporo?ilo
Pošiljalec: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Zadeva: Re: [OS2Wireless] First experience with Vista and Wi-Fi
Datum: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:54:10 -0400
Za: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

On 07/07/07 05:51 pm, Ed Durrant thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Apologies for the reference in the subject to the Evil Empire's latest alphaware foisted on an unsuspecting public... I just thought this worthy of note.

A couple weeks ago, I had occasion to break from the network upgrade I was doing to visit a client whose two new Gateway notebooks (no, he didn't get them form me, nor did I recommend them - egad, no!) were having trouble connecting to his venerable LinkSys WRT11. I convinced him that it was indeed time to upgrade the router/AP, and start with a fresh WRT54G and perhaps opensource firmware (though I ended up sticking - for the time being - with the factory pack). Out we went to pick one up.

I configured the unit for WPA2 encryption, TKIP+AES, PSK (LinkSys refers to this as "Personal") which I find to be the most user-friendly (some non-standard clients have trouble with AES or TKIP - usually AES - so accepting both makes things a bit easier).

I ..........................

Was the WRT54G the latest version ? If not the latest Linksys firmware for it, from the Linksys website does address several problems with different clients, it also includes several of the additional features that were previously only in the "after market" firmware. I'd be tempted to upgrade to the latest version and try again. I presume the "Beaconing" you refer to is the SSID (which you want to hide for security reasons)?

Yes, Ed, it was indeed the latest firmware for the WRT54G. Had it not been, I probably would have jumped over to DD-WRT instead.

Beaconing is the "official" term for SSID broadcast, yes. ;-)  And yes, it's an "out of sight; out of mind" thing with me to turn this off. It can still be sniffed (because connected/connecting clients  will send it in clear text over the air), but it doesn't immediately show up in a scan (usually). Just another layer...

Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
Accountants / Network Consultants
 New York / Northern Virginia           www.2rosenthals.com
eComStation Consultants                  www.ecomstation.com
Novell Users Int'l       www.novell.com/openenterpriseserver
Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?               www.hautspot.com

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)