From: "Ed Durrant" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless]Wireless Phone Connectivity
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:55:39 +1100

Rick R. wrote:
Hi Folks !

I'm looking for a Tri/Quad band phone that I can
connect to my OS/2 system directly via Wireless.
The phone should allow me to access its memory
directly via WiFi, kind of like a PDA or 2nd WiFi PC.

Is there such a device out there?

There are just starting to appear some Mobile Phones with WiFi capability (I expect so that they can access Free WiFi hotspots and use VOIP for cheap calls or browse on an inbuilt browser on the miniscreen). Several PDAs are now appearing with Phone capabilities - or is it phones with PDA capabilities - the boundaries are now getting very unclear ! These often have WiFi.

If these devices can share their drive via FTP for example, then what you are looking for should work.

Normally however "wireless" connection between a mobile phone and a PC is done using either Bluetooth or Infared transmission technologies.  These are also often referred to as Wireless and this can be confused with WiFi - there are several versions of "Wireless", Wifi is only one of them.

I believe Infrared (Irda) support is available on OS/2, but I haven't heard of bluetooth being supported.

Cheers/2

Ed.