From: "Al Heath" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] It used to work...
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 08:55:36 -0500

cc:

On 06/16/07 08:38 pm, Julian Thomas thus wrote :
>> In <list-1223165@2rosenthals.com>, on 06/16/07
>>    at 04:40 PM, "Sandy Shapiro" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
>> typed: >I have the exact same experience with my Thinkpad T42 (Atheros
>> card). >XWLAN works with wireless if there is no encryption, but if one of
>> the >encryption protocols is enabled, it does not connect. Under Windows
>> XP >there is no problem.
>>
>> Encryption hadn't been enabled before, and that didn't change.
>>

>To which on 06/16/07, Lewis G Rosenthal replied:
>I've observed the same behavior as Sandy reports. I have a client where
>we have WPA2 configured and SSID beaconing turned off. XWLAN keeps
>searching and can't find the AP...
>
>Lewis

My experience with a T23 of mine with a NetGear WG511T is a little different.  If I use 1.6 or 1.7 of Genmac, then I CAN connect to public hotpots AND WEP encrypted non SSID beaconing access points (the ones that I know about and  maintain ... having made them just a little more difficult for some uninvited people to get into by using insecure WEP and non beaconing.  Yes, it could still be hacked, I know..)  However, If I try version 2.0, then I can ONLY connect to non encrypted beaconing access points.  It will NEVER connect (using the same SSID and wep keys as the 1.6 / 1.7 drivers use and connect successfully) to that very same access point that 1.6 or 1.7 will connect to.

However in my case with either the 1.x or 2.0 versions, I frequently will get a Trap killing the entire system if I open or close PM apps.  However I can connect and do ftp transfers and surf the internet for a while (don't close any windows or tabs) before the system traps.  So pretty much is it useless for serious work.  On my T42 and thus with a different Atheros MAC driver, the system is stable on 1.x and I have not had a need to attempt to upgrade to 2.0

This stuff has come a long way but I do hope it will get better soon.

Al