From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Is there such a device?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 13:38:31 -0400

Hi, Ed...

On 08/22/09 12:03 am, Ed Durrant thus wrote :
Ed Durrant wrote:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Hi, Jim...

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:51:40 -0700 "Jim Showalter" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

<snip>
Is there a device which will simultaneously act as a wireless bridge (wired connection) and wireless extender/expander? Basically, a WAP with ethernet cable connections which connects wirelessly to the main WAP and accepts wireless connections to pass on as well?

<snip>
A LinkSys WRT54GL (or another supported wireless router) flashed with DD-WRT firmware can do exactly what you want (wireless repeater & 4-port wired switch).

See http://www.dd-wrt.com for more details.
<snip>
While on the point of the Linksys WRT54 - does it have VPN capabilities ?

Sorry I should have added, with an OS/2 compatible client.

The VPN implementation in the VPN-enabled builds of DD-WRT is based on OpenVPN. We have a port of OpenVPN available for OS/2 (see Hobbes), thanks to Pasha. Andy & I attempted to upgrade the OpenVPN build to a newer one, and while we did succeed, there were login issues encountered (Pasha's build works well for OS/2 <-> OS/2 connections, but not for client <-> server).

Building yet a newer version led me into a brick wall, and Paul (Smedley) graciously assisted my efforts, guiding me along the way (thanks again, Paul!). Still, my building was unsuccessful. Finally, Paul built a new one, based on the 2.1 RC12 sources. The login issue persisted, but he managed to fix that for me. Unfortunately, we got stalled again with the TAP/TUN driver. Pasha's build of the driver currently only supports TAP, whereas client to site VPN implementations of OpenVPN require tunneling (TUN) functionality. Thus, which I was finally able to authenticate, I could not carry any traffic.

Read more about where we left off: http://mantis.smedley.info/view.php?id=276 .

So, to come back around to answer your question (and I suppose we are getting a bit far afield for this list!), we do not yet have a working SSL VPN client capable of connecting to a device running OpenVPN (such as the DD-WRT firmware or the Astaro Security Gateway).

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com