From: "Stan Sidlov" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: sbsidlov@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Is there such a device?
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:22:07 -0400

the DD-WRT firmware on a Linksys (or other compatible router) is extremely compatible with OS/2....never ever had an issue, and I've run this type of hardware firmware for many years now - long enough to 'burn out' the router since I overdrive the transmitter by 200%. I run an average of 500-700GBytes per month through mine.

OS/2 did not report the PC's name in the way the router expected (which only led to a blank name in the client table the router served addresses and DNS perfectly). I believe it took an optional statement in the tcpip.config file to have the 'name' show up in the client table on the router.  The router and firmware is totally compatible with DOCSIS and all PPoE variants, PPTP, L2TP etc.  DD-WRT works with all dynamic client services, too. Preconfigured for Dyndns, freedns, zoneEdit, no-ip, 3322.org, easyDNS, TZO, DynSIP and you can configure a custom ddns service too. Overclocked it will handle a 27mb wan connection with the SPI firewall turned on, and about 30mb with the spi turned off and safely fanless overclock to 250mHz.

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Ed Durrant <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
Ed Durrant wrote:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
Hi, Jim...

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 17:51:40 -0700 "Jim Showalter" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
I have a home network which is a mixture of wired and wireless. I have one computer which is not wireless capable, ie, needs an ethernet cable connection, which I want to move to a part of my house which is within range of my wireless router. I know I could use a wireless bridge to make that connection. However, further away from that location I get bad or no wireless connection to my WAP using other devices (laptop, iPhone).

Is there a device which will simultaneously act as a wireless bridge (wired connection) and wireless extender/expander? Basically, a WAP with ethernet cable connections which connects wirelessly to the main WAP and accepts wireless connections to pass on as well?

I hope that is clear, but maybe not. Anyway, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

A LinkSys WRT54GL (or another supported wireless router) flashed with DD-WRT firmware can do exactly what you want (wireless repeater & 4-port wired switch).

See http://www.dd-wrt.com for more details.
___
Lewis G Rosenthal
Rosenthal a Rosenthal, LLC
Sent with SnapperMail

While on the point of the Linksys WRT54 - does it have VPN capabilities ?

Sorry I should have added, with an OS/2 compatible client.

--
Cheers/2

Ed

Checkout my eComStation Australia Podcasts
Search on eComStationAustralia in iTunes or set up Thunderbird to look at http://eComStationAustralia.podbean.com/feed or simply go to the webpage http://eComstationAustralia.podbean.com

Don't miss the tenth Warpstock Europe at Stralsund, Germany 12-15 November 2009 check out - http://www.warpstock.eu for details.
(I will be presenting on Virtualisation and eCS at the conference).

This list is hosted by Rosenthal & Rosenthal, LLC
P.O. Box 281, Deer Park, NY 11729-0281. Non-
electronic communications related to content
contained in these messages should be directed
to the above address. (CAN-SPAM Act of 2003)