From: "Doug LaRue" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Is there such a device?
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:09:33 -0700

** Reply to message from "Ed Durrant" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Wed, 26 Aug 2009 06:40:52 +1000

> Yes I wanted to use the Router as the VPN endpoint to my complete LAN.
>
> I know that VPN pass-through functions can be enabled or disabled, even
> in the Linksys firmware.
>
> Why do I want an OS/2 client? Because I run eCS on my netbook which I
> take with me when travelling and I'd like to connect back into the home
> network.
>
> I could use Lan Distance I suppose, but that again would mean that I'd
> need to have the software on one of the systems rather than in the
> router, which is a simpler and cleaner solution.

this all makes me wonder if a solution might not be a virtual machine running
a very small Linux which provides the OpenVPN connection to your router.
Having eCS routing traffic through the virtual network port of the virtual machine.

They already sell small USB dongles with Linux embedded in them for routing
and firewalling where the USB interface looks like a NIC to the host computer.
This would be like that except that the little embedded work engine is in a
virtual machine. You might even try running OpenWRT or DD-WRT in the
virtual machine since I saw that the both have an x86 version. That means
it'll only require the virtual machine allocate 4MB of memory for this
virtual machine plus the overhead of the virtual machine environment.

So I'm pretty sure you can get the the embedded router software running in
the virtual machine but I'm not sure of the specifics of how you'd get eCS
to bind your network to route through the virtual machine and have all of
this be transparent to the applications.

Doug