os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6232

Da: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Mittente: "Will Honea" <whonea@whonea.net>
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Perhaps it is time to fix it?
Data: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:52:46 -0600
A: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Neil Waldhauer" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>
on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 06:08:16 -0700

> I imagine you may have read such a thing, but it is not so.
>
> 1. Anyone in the USA can have an open router.
> 2. Criminals (or anyone else) using an open router can easily be traced.

You might want to re-study the latter claim.  Assuming the normal "end of the
line" user, the lowest level connection is their ISP.  Unless you maintain a
legally verifiable log of your own connections, any activity trace ends at the
IP address of your router.  We've had several cases locally of child porn
activity that dead ended at the router and caused real problems for the
(innocent) owner until the local cops - fortunately well trained - installed
monitoring services to track the real user down inside the user's network.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>