os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6332

Da: "Will Honea" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Mittente: "Will Honea" <whonea@whonea.net>
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: A bit Off Topic: Which WAP to go for?
Data: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:56:58 -0600
A: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Lewis G Rosenthal"
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:45:36 -0400

> N is due to be ratified very, very soon. N has some very nice things
> about it insofar as getting around interference form other channels is
> concerned, but I might still wait until ratification to get a device
> which you *know* is fully compliant.

I thought I saw where N was ratified a couple of weeks back.  Did I mis-read
and take the final draft announcement for the final act?

Word of caution on upping the power level:  every increment of extra power
induces extra heat and from what I've measured, it can be considerable.  You
also need to consider that making yourself heard doesn't help you listen - you
may need to pump up some of the users as well.  I'm using some older Actiontec
GT701WG around here and I've had 2 failures total in 7 years with them.
Fortunately, Qwest uses them so there is a ready market for spares - cheap.  I
bumped them one increment in power and the case temp went up several degrees
very quickly.  Then I discovered that some genius at the factory had used tape
to block a coupe of vents!  Since it was the same with all of them I assume it
was intentional, but removing the tape made them run a lot cooler.  The extra
power shows up on scans but I can't see a lot of improvement in coverage as I
still can't get a connection any further away than I could at the base setting
- likely due to the client side transmit power.  As for range, inside my house
I get reliable connections  at 65 feet through 2 floors and at least 6
intervening walls with the bulk of the heat ducting basically concentrated
directly in the path.  Similar unit at the church is usable out to about 300
meters but that's with a single wooden wall in the path. 100 meters into the
sound booth on the third level of the sanctuary (separate building) is usable -
unless someone swings the big metal doors on the front which are directly in
line between the AP and the client. B/G results are basically the same with
maybe a slight  edge  using the G mode.  I have found that playing with the
dual antennae on the Linksys router to induce directional lobing helps in some
cases.

--
Will Honea <whonea@whonea.net>