Van: "Bob" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Volledige berichtkoppen
Ongedecodeerd bericht
Onderwerp: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: eCS Firewall
Datum: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:58:13 -0700
Aan: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Jon" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Tue, 27
Oct 2009 13:20:43 -0700 (PDT)

> >I would use the same settings as what I use at home.
> >

> A bit easier said than done.  User rules would probably be easy enough to copy but IJFW has a
> number of preset rules based on it's selectable security level.  For example, (and I'm sure you
> know this) the NAT engine drops unsolicited packets.  When on the road, the wireless connection may
> be using NAT

I have not seen any public wireless access point that did not use NAT in the US
or Europe.  Of course if you are using someone's private network they may have
a different setup.

> but I don't know if the AP is dropping those packets nor do I know how to write a rule
> to do the same (or AFAIK, it may not even be possible for the simple OS/2 firewall to do this).

All unsolicited packets will be dropped (or rejected) by NAT.  Unsolicited
packets do not have enough information associated with them to be routed.

> Maybe most of the public AP's that you used block unsolicited packets in the same manner but
> because that info can't be seen then it isn't known to be happening.  Perhaps this is why in the
> many years of traveling you haven't had a problem?

NAT by itself is a good firewall for unsolicited packets.  If you do not click
on a lot of links while browsing the internet you should not have problems.
Likewise if your email client is fairly secure you will not have problems.  If
you click a lot of links and do not have your email client secure a firewall
will not keep you safe.

When I am connected to a public wireless access point I do not stay connected
for hours, just enough time to get my email and occassionally to look at a URL.
I am very selective on links I follow and my email client is set to only
display plain text, this eliminates many problems.  So having a connection
through a public wireless access point (which uses NAT) and using safe surfing
practices avoids problems.

Just my experience and opinion.

--
Robert Blair