Van: "Bob" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Volledige berichtkoppen
Ongedecodeerd bericht
Onderwerp: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: eCS Firewall
Datum: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:49:54 -0700
Aan: "OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

** Reply to message from "Jon" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> on Tue, 27
Oct 2009 20:51:44 -0700 (PDT)

> That is interesting, I had not thought that deeply about it before.  I use PMMail so email is not a
> problem,

I do not know anything about PMMail so I can not comment here.  Where is an
OS/2 version that can be downloaded?

> although I sometimes will use my ISP's provided web mail, again I don't see a problem
> there either.

No problem there as far as I know.

> I suppose I can block the MS sharing & messaging ports and go from there.  I can also check GRC.com
> next time I'm on the road to see how 'invisible' I am.

I don't use either service so there are no programs listening on those ports on
my computer.  But if you are behind a NAT router those ports will not be
forwarded to your computer unless you run a program that reads those ports or
you have set up port forwarding on the router to allow them to go through.

I ran grc.com and passed except for ping which responded.  I will have to check
the firewall on my Verizon router to see if I can disable ping responses.

> What do you think about connecting via https: to financial sites since all data is encrypted?

If the initial web page on ANY web site is not secure and has user id -
password fields I never enter my user id and password but just click the
sign-on button.  The sign-on web page usually is a secure page, if it is secure
I will then enter my sign-on data.

--
Robert Blair

Aanmelden: Feed, Samenvatting, Index.