Van: "Jon" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Volledige berichtkoppen
Ongedecodeerd bericht
Onderwerp: Re: [OS2Wireless] eCS Firewall
Datum: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 23:14:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:49:54 -0700 Bob wrote:

>I do not know anything about PMMail so I can not comment here.  Where is an
>OS/2 version that can be downloaded?

http://pmmdev.os2voice.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
It's also on Hobbes.  Both locations have a .wpi and require libc063.

It's $25 to get a registration code, which is obtained by joining voice.  I don't know how long the
program will run w/o registration but the info should be at the above link.  There is also a list
you can join.

I've been using PMMail for more than 10 yrs and once Voice bought the rights to it they started
updating it, there have been many improvements in the last year or so.  In addition to the releases
they also have updated builds via ftp.

>I ran grc.com and passed except for ping which responded.  I will have to check
>the firewall on my Verizon router to see if I can disable ping responses.

Some web sites want to be able to have you respond to some icmp packets, I've had problems in the
past by blocking icmp entirely.  That particular one you mention is icmp-8 (echo request) I
believe.

>If the initial web page on ANY web site is not secure and has user id -
>password fields I never enter my user id and password but just click the
>sign-on button.  The sign-on web page usually is a secure page, if it is secure
>I will then enter my sign-on data.

Thanks for the confirmation.  That is the way I see it but I am always wondering if I am
overlooking something.  I have checked to confirm there is no plain language going out when I'm
signing on with https.  I suppose there might be a possibility to capture something between the
computer and the wireless AP.  But I guess https is similiar to a tunnel.

Jon

Aanmelden: Feed, Samenvatting, Index.
Afmelden
Mail naar ListMaster