Van: "Dave Saville" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Volledige berichtkoppen
Ongedecodeerd bericht
Onderwerp: [OS2Wireless] Re: eCS Firewall
Datum: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:51:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 22:49:54 -0700 Bob wrote:

>I ran grc.com and passed except for ping which responded.  I will have to check
>the firewall on my Verizon router to see if I can disable ping responses.

I used to like grc but after a router upgrade I am not so sure. As I
had to rewrite all the router firewall rules I used grc to check the
results. From my laptop it said complete stealth. Good I thought. Just
for fun I then checked it from my server. Complete stealth. Hmm, I have
http, smtp and a couple of non standard ones open but grc on all ports
or well known ports reported green across the board. Only by
specifically checking the ports I *knew* were open did it say that.
This is clearly impossible to do for every port. Now it may be
something to do with what the grc website calls "adaptive" firewalls
when the firewall sees lots of packets form the same source - but a) I
see no logging to that effect, not sure actually if I would, or b) I
would have thought that the smtp port would have been hit long before
the firewall tumbled what was going on.

--
Regards

Dave Saville