Van: "Frank Vos" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Volledige berichtkoppen
Ongedecodeerd bericht
Onderwerp: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: eCS Firewall
Datum: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:09:58 +0100 (CET)

Hello,
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:51:44 -0700 (PDT), Jon wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:58:13 -0700 Bob wrote:
>>

>>When I am connected to a public wireless access point I do not stay connected
>>for hours, just enough time to get my email and occassionally to look at a URL.
>>I am very selective on links I follow and my email client is set to only
>>display plain text, this eliminates many problems.  So having a connection
>>through a public wireless access point (which uses NAT) and using safe surfing
>>practices avoids problems.
>>
>>Just my experience and opinion.
>
>Bob:
>
>That is interesting, I had not thought that deeply about it before.  I use PMMail so email is not a
>problem, although I sometimes will use my ISP's provided web mail, again I don't see a problem
>there either.
It depends what version of PMmail you are using. The old version of
PMmail doesn't support SMTPS, so this means that the username and
password are sent in the clear, so the bad guys can sniff them. It's
possible to use Stunnel, but I was not able to get that working with my
ISP. The Voice version 3.04 of PMmail and Thunderbird are safe to use
over an public AP, because they do support SMTPS.

Kind regards,
Frank

Aanmelden: Feed, Samenvatting, Index.
Afmelden