From: "Stan Sidlov" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Sender: sbsidlov@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Aircard
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 08:22:52 -0500

fwiw: I used to connect my Siemens phones to dialup, but they all had a real serial com connection cable. I didn't use Injoy but that other PM dialer to dial the *99 numbers in OS/2. But back then I didn't have a unlimited (aka 5GB) data plan, only 5mb. I just tried my old laptop with a 1.5 or so version of eCS and it didn't appear to work mostly because of the USB stack, I didn't try to put the phone in Mass Storage mode to see if it showed as a drive due to LMV, but I'm fairly sure that it does, since I remember doing it some time ago. So far as I know, all SE phones with the SE bulky multi-jack, all work as modems, even the cheapest ones once you have the usb data cable. Mine is a Z750a which is considered a 'fashion phone' but it's has 1000 contacts with multiple addresses and phone numbers for each, the Euro 'i' version had video calling. It might even connect with Google Contacts according to some stuff I read. It has a calendar too, and can remind you of appointments, etc, but the visuals are poor. Mine is unbranded (vs unlocked) but that has nothing to do with it being a modem though it does unlock some of the phones functions. My daughter has the same phone with branding so she can watch video (broadcast and youtube) on it. I like mine unlocked for the GPS function that I don't have to pay extra for.

ATT policy is to block stuff and mod the firmware so that it's harder to use the full functionality of the phone without paying extra. When I modded my plan recently to lower my costs, they offered several very expensive tether plans up to $120/mo ! My phone came with SE's PC Suite v3 or 4, and that installed dialup connections in Windows. v6 that adds the USB Ethernet connection is not available for the US model of my phone from SE's site, it is available for the Euro version and similar models not sold here (SE uses a generic HW and SW platform to build most of it's phones adding/changing the video or photo chips at will to create 'new' phones.)  Prior to this v6 software, my phone would dial for the UMTS service and get rejected since I don't pay the $30/mo then it would dial the GPRS service and that would work. 200K is not all that bad, after all, I know people who have not much more than that for DSL, but the access to the 1mb service (my phone's only capable of 1.5mb) is much nicer when I do need to tether and since it's 3G I can still use the phone as a phone.  30mb service at the house spoils you....

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Ed Durrant <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 12:24:48 -0500 "Stan Sidlov" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

fwiw Sony Errison phones almost all tether with a $10-15 internet plan and a $3 cable. SE's PC Suite v6 has USB Ethernet driver function bypassing the *99 dial-in which will give you whatever HSPDA speed in your area.... see: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23168168-ATT-SE-tether-near-1mb-speed-test-wnew-drivers  Doubtful it would work under emulation in OS/2.....

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Jeffrey Race <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

It's a PC card format, not USB, and I plan to use on
WXP or W2K natively or virtualized, on the GSM
network in Thailand. I can get EDGE for $15 per month
there.  Can't afford a data plan in the USA !

If some PC card would work on OS/2 so much the better.
jr

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 21:11:28 -0700, Andy Willis wrote:>Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Hi, Jeff...>> On 11/05/09 09:49 pm, Jeffrey Race thus wrote :

Looking to buy something that will work on GSM and
EDGE, may be Sierra 860 or 881.   Can anyone offer
comments/hints/comparisons?

IIRC, Steve Levine mentioned to me that he knew of a card which worked
under OS/2. I don't know if that unit is still marketed, nor do I know
how readily available the drivers may be.

If this is the USB device that he helped someone with getting the driver
to work (I can't think of the name at all right now) then the card
hasn't been marketed in several years I think (may still work if you can
find one).
Ahh, google provides the answer of who in the form of the archives (Mark
Abramowitz):

<http://mail.2rosenthals.com:8100/Lists/os2-wireless_users/Message/1940.html?altLanguage=>
This was from 2006 and as I recall the drivers may have been done for
some time prior to that... in fact from the Sierra site:

*AirCard 580 PC Card
*Discontinued December 2006, supported until December 2008

It may still work on some networks... maybe Sprint as I saw something
about their broadband having used it (its an EVDO card apparently).
I think to get the drivers one had to send an email to Mark.
I am not aware of any cards that work directly with OS.2, though some
phones might be able to be tethered and used like a modem as I
understand it.

In the interim, or at least until we get a new USB stack to enable (better) connecting to handheld devices, perhaps an ethernet bridge device, such as this one, might be in order: http://www.resultcompany.nl/gprs/gprs.php ? Just a WAG...
___
Lewis G Rosenthal
Rosenthal a Rosenthal, LLC
Sent with SnapperMail

That ad specifically states that it is only supported under XP, so it is a software based solution. If you are looking for alternatives to connect to a 3G network via Ethernet (and as so a hardware, OS platform independent solution), there are the "home 3G modems" that enable ethernet and in some cases POTS telephone as well from a smallish box external from the PC.  I would not call this "portable: however.

http://www.virginmobile.com.au/broadband/home-phone-broadband/

Tethering using a mobile phone (and a telco service that allows it - apparently often blocked in the US for some reason) and a capable 3G phone connected via USB as a serial comms device is probably the simplest way to go. See my article from a few years back on voice on how to do this using Injoy dialer.

http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0606H/feature_1.html

--
Cheers/2

Ed