From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Any interest in desktop mounting a laptop Wi-Fi card?
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 18:20:31 -0500
To: OS/2 Wireless Users <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

Greetings, all...

Having just constructed one of the above, utilizing an Intel 3945ABG card and successfully testing it in a desktop system with a PCI Express 1x slot, I'm curious to see if there is any interest in such an animal here. GenMAC drives the Intel card well, and if you want to later move to, say, a 4965AGN (802.11n) card, it's a simple matter of replacing the mini-PCIe card in the adapter and adding two additional antennas (the bracket has three connectors on it).

Pricing for this unit, complete with an Intel 3945ABG card and antenna is $54 plus shipping. For the 4965AGN and three antennas, add $15 (the 4965AGN also works with GenMAC).

For systems without a PCI Express slot, I offer the Intel 2915ABG mini-PCI card on a standard PCI adapter with antenna. Pricing for this assembly is $54.

I have been frustrated of late when trying to find a decent (read: supported) PCI Wi-Fi card. The last Atheros-based card I picked up simply would not run under any OS, complaining of lack of resources, and as many of us know, playing with IRQs under ACPI is no more fun than the good old days of jumpers and pins. I finally decided to just build one myself!

While I welcome discussion here of specifics of the workings of these gizmos, if you are desirous of ordering one, just send me a private email: lgrosenthal AT the domain hosting this list.

Cheers/2

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com