From: "Leon D. Zetekoff, NCE" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] How secure is POTS?
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:48:09 -0500

* Thomas Dennis wrote, On 11/15/2009 8:34 AM:
Hi All:
A friend called me three times yesterday using POTS at their end and my
handy # at my end.
what is a handy #? Is this a VoIP #?
My handy recorded the number that was sent over the telephone line and
placed this number in my "missed calls" box.
This friend (Helen) lives in another city with a different area code.
Calling the number, which is a POTS number that has the same area code
as mine, I get Alan (another friend who lives near me). He claims he doesn't know Helen and that the call didn't originate from
his phone.
I have no entry for Alan in my handy data base.
in the US if you are outside a local calling area then you need to do full 10 digit dialing which includes area codes. Even if you are inside a local calling area 10 digit dialing is most likely required. VoIP calls should all be 10 or 11 digit dialing in the US. Do you have to dial a leading 1 for long distance?

Leon
<snip>