os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6461

Da: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: Wireless LAN Monitor problems
Data: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:40:33 -0500
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

I'm glad to see we're making progress...

On 11/28/09 11:43 pm, Greggory D Shaw thus wrote :
Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Okay, thanks. Let's see if I can help clarify a few things for you:

On 11/28/09 05:13 pm, Greggory D Shaw thus wrote :

Lewis G Rosenthal wrote:

Hi, Greggory. Some thoughts, below:

On 11/27/09 07:09 pm, Greggory D Shaw thus wrote :

<snip>
3) What I want is to be able to connect at Starbuck or any public hot
spot using DHCP.  My onborad LAN is LAN0 and the wireless is LAN1.

4) I have no experience with setting up wireless on OS/2 and any help
would be welcome!

5) I don't care about the Wireless A setup, only using DHCP with
Starbucks at public hotspot.(no encryption ).

If you are using the GenMAC driver, then the latest XWLAN should
support it. If not, there is a good chance that you may have to use an
older version of XWLAN, and even then, it may or may not work for that
card. However, this can be scripted so that it can be done with a
couple of clicks. XWLAN is just so much nicer.

<snip>
Here is the output from PCI.EXE -s:

Vendor 14E4h Broadcom Corp
Device 4318h BCM4309 802.11a/b/g
Subsystem ID 00051028h Unknown
Subsystem Vendor 1028h Dell Computer Corp

Thanks. This card is indeed supported by GenMAC and should work with
XWLAN.

<snip>

After I manually add the Wep key, ssid, XWLAN show green connect
icon. So, XWLAN works, does anyone have a script to start dhcp and
configure
wirless setup?

This should be unnecessary. Try this: Completely remove any
configuration you have in your TCP/IP setup for LAN1. XWLAN handles
all of this, and as Ed has pointed out, limitations in the OS/2 TCP/IP
stack allow for only a single interface to be enabled for DHCP at any
given time. XWLAN handles this through some slight of hand.

In PROTOCOL.INI, set your SSID to ANY.

You should be able to turn the radio on from XWLAN (Enable Radio from
the context menu). Ensure that this works for you. If you are not able
to turn the radio on and off from XWLAN, then we need to look more
closely at the XWLAN configuration to see why it is not seeing your
card at this stage.

Create a profile in XWLAN (Add/Edit Profile...) for your home network.
If using DHCP at home, then ensure that option is set in the profile.
Once you connect, if your wireless network is on the same subnet as
your wired one, and you are already connected via wire, you will be
prompted for which connection to use.

See if that works. I think we may be getting hung up on the radio
activation step.

Cheers/2

Thanks, Lewis and Ed
You're welcome (from both of us, I'm sure). :-)
both of you are right. I disabled LAN0 (Wired) and
removed settings for LAN1 (Wireless).
When you say you "disabled LAN0," this should be unnecessary (to do manually). Once XWLAN associates with an AP and is configured for DHCP, it should prompt you if it is necessary to disable LAN0. This should be entirely automatic.
Switched the router to public and
added ssid -ssid sxwamp to the setup.cmd file.  Lewis, you were right
about radio activiation by adding ssid.exe to the setup.cmd fixed XWLAN.
Now, XWLAN connects and works.

The secret is to remember the words, "less is better." Again, you should not have to add anything to setup.cmd. Here's mine:

route -fh
arp -f
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
REM ifconfig lan0
REM ifconfig lan1
REM ifconfig lan2
REM ifconfig lan3
REM ifconfig lan4
REM ifconfig lan5
REM ifconfig lan6
REM ifconfig lan7
dhcpstrt -i lan0 -d 0
REM ifconfig sl0

I simply enable or disable the radio from XWLAN.
But, now if I turn of WEP I have to select Public hotspot => scan for
hotspot => select my network.  I can live with two click, compared to of
the command line stuff that I had to do before.

Just create a profile for your own network, per my earlier message. When not at home, select Public hotspot. Otherwise, you should be fine with your new profile in place. I have but *one* double-click when I'm at home, which is configured to toggle the radio on & off.

In short, the basic steps to set up any card with XWLAN which is supported under GenMAC:

  1. Install the driver via MPTS.
  2. Install XWLAN, either as Xcenter widget or standalone.
  3. Reboot to load the driver.
  4. Turn the radio on from XWLAN.
  5. Either scan for a hotspot or configure a profile for your connection.
  6. If using a profile, select it.

Thanks everyone,

Surely. You're almost there, Greggory!

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com