os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6471

Da: "J R FOX" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: USB wireless NICs (external)
Data: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:45:35 -0800 (PST)
A: os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com

Lewis wrote:
> So, my understanding is that the onboard ethernet in the Shuttle
> XPC he has is not supported under OS/2, thus requiring an
> additional (supported) ethernet adapter of some type. The ethernet
> bridges still need a working wired adapter at the machine.

> Jordan, was I incorrect in my reading of your post?

The older Shuttle has a built-in NIC chip on the MB that definitely
supports a wired ethernet connection for eCS.  I'm not sure about
the later, dual-core model, because I haven't gotten around to
installing eCS on it.  (It is used mainly for running video apps,
so eCS has been a deferred priority.)  I think there is a 50 / 50
chance the NIC chip *it* has built-in (Marvel ?) could be supported
by Genmac, for wired use.  But I'm not sure.

Lewis also wrote:
> Until we have a new USB stack for OS/2, wireless networking is not
> going to be possible, AIUI. However, your workaroudn might be to
> install a working *wired* USB stick connected to an ethernet bridge
> device (such as the Asus WL-330g or the LinkSys WET54G).

It so happens that I bought the WL-330G (the one reviewed by Daniella
on the VOICE newsletter) a while back, but never tried to use it.
This is because it does not support WPA, and that is a must for the
primary location where I need to use the external USB NIC-stick.
Otherwise, I cannot make contact with their router.  (NOT the same
place where the Linksys router you are supplying will be used.)
It may even require WPA-2 AES.

and Ed wrote:
> A simpler option might be external, ethernet connected WiFi
> adapters as used for some ganes consoles. You connect to them
> as a router via an ethernet cable rather than USB. They are a
> little larger than your USB stick, but as they are OS agnostic,
> they work without the need for any new drivers.

Are you and Bob referring to the same type of device ?  If I get
one, how -- in the total hardware scheme of things -- would I go
about setting it up ?

  Jordan