os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com Messaggio archiviato #6474

Da: "Ed Durrant" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Intestazioni complete
Messaggio non codificato
Oggetto: Re: [OS2Wireless] USB wireless NICs (external)
Data: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 06:32:30 +1100
A: OS/2 Wireless Users Mailing List <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com>

J R FOX wrote:
Lewis wrote:

So, my understanding is that the onboard ethernet in the Shuttle XPC he has is not supported under OS/2, thus requiring an additional (supported) ethernet adapter of some type. The ethernet bridges still need a working wired adapter at the machine.

Jordan, was I incorrect in my reading of your post?

The older Shuttle has a built-in NIC chip on the MB that definitely supports a wired ethernet connection for eCS.  I'm not sure about the later, dual-core model, because I haven't gotten around to installing eCS on it.  (It is used mainly for running video apps, so eCS has been a deferred priority.)  I think there is a 50 / 50 chance the NIC chip *it* has built-in (Marvel ?) could be supported by Genmac, for wired use.  But I'm not sure.

Lewis also wrote:

Until we have a new USB stack for OS/2, wireless networking is not going to be possible, AIUI. However, your workaroudn might be to install a working *wired* USB stick connected to an ethernet bridge device (such as the Asus WL-330g or the LinkSys WET54G).

It so happens that I bought the WL-330G (the one reviewed by Daniella on the VOICE newsletter) a while back, but never tried to use it.  This is because it does not support WPA, and that is a must for the primary location where I need to use the external USB NIC-stick.  Otherwise, I cannot make contact with their router.  (NOT the same place where the Linksys router you are supplying will be used.)
It may even require WPA-2 AES.  Bob wrote:

It is called a "game adapter".  The one I have is a "Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter"

and Ed wrote:

A simpler option might be external, ethernet connected WiFi adapters as used for some ganes consoles. You connect to them as a router via an ethernet cable rather than USB. They are a little larger than your USB stick, but as they are OS agnostic, they work without the need for any new drivers.

Are you and Bob referring to the same type of device ?  If I get one, how -- in the total hardware scheme of things -- would I go about setting it up ?

  Jordan

Hi Jordan - yes I was referring to the devices like the WL330 you have - I am surprised to hear it does not support WPA2 - have you checked there is no downloadable firmware upgrade from the ASUSTEK website to add this functionality. Otherwise you could look at similar devices from netgear, linksys or D-Link (or others).

You would have your SFF box configured as it it were connected to your local network using DHCP (with OS/2 driver support loaded for the inbuilt NIC), then simply unplug from your local network and connect to the WiFi adapter box - it should give you a new DHCP generated IP address and DNS etc. You would not need to make any changes to the Shuttle. You would need to configure the WiFi Adapter for things like WPA2 etc. of course - this would normally be done via a browser (e.g. firefox) accessing the IP address of the box (the handbook will give you the details you need). Some systems have "quick setup" utilities to initially configure the box - these need to run once under Windows, then you should be ready to go from any OS.

Has the Shuttle, not got any PCI slots? If it has one, there are PCI WiFi cards that are supported by GenMAC (but you need to make sure you get the correct (usually old) revision of these cards.

--
Cheers/2

Ed

eComStationAustralia podcast RSS feed http://eComStationAustralia.podbean.com/feed or iTunes