From: "Lewis G Rosenthal" <os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> Full Headers
Undecoded message
Subject: Re: [OS2Wireless] Re: More than 1GB of RAM
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 22:18:45 -0500

A: Because it's hard to follow the train of thought.
Q: Why is it so difficult to read top postings in mailing list threads?

:-)

More thoughts, below, Sam:

On 12/28/09 09:49 pm, Sam Lewis thus wrote :
Well I tried setting the shared video ram back to 32MB and that didn't
make any difference.  Think it may be the actual driver .sys file?

Hmmm... My first inclination would have been something to do with the amount of video RAM you reserved. As that appears to not be the case (you did power cycle after making that change, didn't you?), I might suspect something with the Windows driver itself. Do you have Windows installed on the machine? I'd be curious to know what version/timestamp the .inf & .sys files show.

I'm much more familiar with the Intel wireless cards and their related drivers, so I may need to turn this over to folks who know the Broadcom wireless better.

A quick Google, however, mentions a number of hits (possibly related) about hangs and such with various builds of the bcmw15.sys driver:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=bcmwl5.sys+memory&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

You might want to try to track down a newer (or older) build of the driver, and give that a whirl. The easiest way to do this is by checking HP's downloads site for an updated driver for your notebook (Broadcom doesn't seem to list the wireless drivers in their reference downloads). Hopefully, the download will be a simple zip archive (even if it's a self-extracting Windows exe, as long as it's really a zip archive, you can still open it easily enough with the usual unarchiving tools).

Anybody else have any better ideas?
On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Sam Lewis <saml@rollanet.org> wrote:

Lewis,
Here is the directory of the wrapper directory.  Does this tell which
driver specifically it is?  Its the Broadcom B/G

Directory of C:\genmac\driver\WRAPPER_14E4_4318

 4-14-07  9:09p         <DIR>      0 ----  .
 4-14-07  9:09p         <DIR>      0 ----  ..
 9-02-05  7:23p         1,739      0 a---  bcmwl5.inf
12-22-04  2:32a       369,024      0 a---  bcmwl5.sys
       4 file(s)     370,763 bytes used

There are no settings in the BIOS for memory, except for how much will
be used for the video card.  I was only using 32MB for the Video but
when I upgraded the RAM I changed it to 128MB.  I'll try and put that
back to 32MB and see what happens.
Thanks,
Sam

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 7:14 PM, Lewis G Rosenthal
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

Hi, guys...

On 12/28/09 07:43 pm, Sam Lewis thus wrote :

I thought some folks were having some kind of issue like this a while
back.  I had been running Genmac 2.00, so I first updated to 14.104a
kernel and that didn't make a difference so I updated to Genmac 2.20,
with that it will boot but the wifi won't work.  When doing the scan
the Wifi light just comes off and on, not quite a blink.
Thanks,
Sam

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Chuck McKinnis
<os2-wireless_users@2rosenthals.com> wrote:

My Lenovo T61 runs eCS 2.0RC7 with 2 Gb, GENMAC and all.

Sam Lewis wrote:

Has anyone had trouble with Genmac after installing 2GB of RAM?  I
have had eCS 1.2r on my HP/Compaq Presario Notebook for 3 or so years
with no problems.  I just upgraded the system from 512MB to 2GB and
now it won't boot after loading Genmac.  I can drop it to 1GB and it
will work.

I reverted back to the wired Realtek interface and it now works fine.

Sam, what card is that in your machine, and what files *specifically* do you
have in the WRAPPER directory? My thinking is that this may be related to
the Windows driver component (and perhaps its interaction with GenMAC) and
not something which is directly related to GenMAC. I recently built a system
with an Intel 2915ABG wireless card and 4GB RAM; no problems booting
whatsoever.

The issue which some saw was with booting the eCS CD itself with more than
1GB RAM, but this has since been addressed. Also, are there any
memory-specific settings in the BIOS which you can try toggling (one at a
time, preferably) to see if they have any effect? Perhaps with more than 1GB
of RAM, the system is automatically mapping something to a previously
uninstalled memory address.

<snip>

Need a managed Wi-Fi hotspot?                www.hautspot.com
Secure, stable, operating system          www.ecomstation.com